Question

Cisco 851 not passing DNS to the computers on the LAN

By krueger_alex ·
I've got a Cisco 851 that is working as I like, mostly. It's been a trip getting it to work, as this is my first non-consumer grade router!
The last issue is that it won't act as a DNS server for the computers that are on the LAN (the can't surf the net). I put the actual DNS server address into the configuration, with these lines:

ip domain name yourdomain.com
ip name-server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
ip name-server yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy

And then set the computers on the LAN either as DHCP, or static with the DNS address pointing to the IP of my 851. It doesn't work. What I then try is just to point the computers directly to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy and then they can surf the net. What step am I leaving out?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

ip dns server

by Churdoo In reply to Cisco 851 not passing DNS ...

I think the missing piece is
ip dns server

http://blog.ioshints.info/2006_08_01_archive.html

Collapse -

Is there a reason

by NetMan1958 In reply to Cisco 851 not passing DNS ...

that you particularly want the router to act as a dns proxy?
If not, you can configure the dhcp server to hand out the DNS servers along with everything else or if you are assigning static ip's to the computers you might as well static the actual dns server ip's.

Collapse -

Almost there...

by vhrocker In reply to Cisco 851 not passing DNS ...

It depends what you really want to do:
If you want the router to act as your DNS "server." As the others posted, I believe it is a mere proxy server. For that configuration you are just lacking the 'ip DNS server' command/config, granted that you DHCP setting are correct, and pointing to the router as a DNS server.

For the setup I have, you simply need to add the REAL DNS servers to the configuration. Don't use the above command and use mine as an example:
!

ip dhcp pool sdm-pool1

import all

network 192.168.4.0 255.255.255.0

default-router 192.168.4.1

dns-server 192.168.4.3 68.87.64.146

!

192.168.4.3 is my local dns server, the primary
68.87.64.146 is my Comcast dns server which is the backup if my server is down.

Anything else?

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)