Question

cmd.exe taking up 90-100% CPU

By ashwintopkar ·
Hi,

I am having a laptop with 1.1GHz and 760MB RAM. I have McAfee anitivirus ent. edition installed. Recently, I have observed that even if the laptop is idle the CPU usage is alomost 100% (not even virus scan running). When I checked I saw one cmd.exe running and taking almost all the CPU. However, I was not running anything through command prompt. How can I check which application is running that? Even though it is running laptop speed is not affected too much. E.g.if I start other applications of work in other applications they run reasonalbly well (slight performance degradation.

I have scanned the laptop manually to check and confirm there is no virus. If I kill the process nothing happens but after some time that cmd.exe again starts running. Does anyone know / has anyone come across same problem? Please let me know.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Are you still having this problem with cmd.exe?

by Photogenic Memory In reply to cmd.exe taking up 90-100% ...

I wasn't sure what might be causing this issue. There could be a lot of things such as programs that may need cmd.exe or a scheduled task you may have set but maybe messed up the time it's supposed to run(hey, it happens). Anyways, I found this forum and you might like.:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_thread/thread/907f2353cd435d2a/9503b602fb143887?hl=en&lnk=st&q=cmd.exe+cpu+problems#9503b602fb143887

Have you tried running a Virus Scan or a Spyware scanner aswell? Give it a shot and see what happens. Don't forget to backup your files in case something happens or you might have to reinstall the OS's in case it's been rooted. Good luck.

Collapse -

Are you still having this problem with cmd.exe?

by errifi In reply to Are you still having this ...

I would simply stop the cmd.exe and see what happens.

Back to Malware Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)