General discussion

Common profile in Windows 2000

By lathe ·
I am setting up a new computer lab in my University, I need to install windows 2000 profession in these PCs.

I need to install few softwares on it and give access to all the students who login with their username and password.

If I install with Administrator user name and install softwares the students will not be able to access the softwares when they login with their user name.

How can I solve the problem?

Thanks

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by cuziyq In reply to Common profile in Windows ...

First of all, when you say "program is not available", do you mean that it won't run for other users, or it's not on the Start Menu when the sign in?

If it's the latter, all you need to do is copy the program's icons to the All Users folder (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu).

If it's the former, then you need to give your users appropriate permissions.

Collapse -

by lathe In reply to Common profile in Windows ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by tony.colgrove In reply to Common profile in Windows ...

The easiest way to solve this problem:
1) Install everything as administrator and configure the computer to your desired look.
2) Right click My Computer and choose Properties. Select the User Profiles Tab.
3) Select the Administrator Profile and choose the Copy To button. Copy the profile to "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User"
4) In the Permitted to Use box either choose the Everyone group or a particular NT group.

Now when a user logs onto the Win2K machine, it will build the user profile from the Default User, which is a copy of the Admin profile, which has all the programs configured for.

Used this method to roll out 400 Win2K Pro laptops to a national sales force. All with the same configuration.
TC

Collapse -

Thank you verymuch

I'm rating this question but still I would like to know how can I perform the 4 th step. Now I'm able to copy the profiles and get my work done. If you can explain to me about the 4th step in details that will be a grate help.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)