General discussion

Compaq 866

By computercare ·
I am trying to reload WIN 95 on this Compaq 866 and I keep getting this message:
"The following file is missing or corrupted: SAMPLE.SYS. There is an error in you CONFIG.SYS file on line 12.
WARNING - this system may not be set up to use the CD ROM. Please contact your PC Manufacturer if setup does not start automatically".
My question is how can I fix the error in the CONFIG.SYS (or don't I have to) and how can I load WIN without using a CD ROM? I need to get WIN loaded. This is for a friend...

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Compaq 866

by True_Texan In reply to Compaq 866

In Windows 95, the config.sys should be in the root directory. (C:\)

Go to your DOS command prompt (C:\)

Type: edit config.sys

This will put you in the DOS editor.

Find the line that references sample.sys and place "REM" in front of the line (do not use the quotation marks).

Save the file. You should be able to use your CD Rom to do the installation still.

If you don't want to use the CD ROM, you should be able to copy all the installation files from the CD ROM to the harddrive (if your hard drive is large enough) and do the installation from there. As a last resort, you could install from disk - if you can find a friend who has them(I believe Win 95 had 15 disks).

Hope this helps!

Collapse -

Compaq 866

by computercare In reply to Compaq 866

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Compaq 866

by wdkinsey In reply to Compaq 866

If you are in a situation where you can "fdisk" the hard drive, you can do a clean install using a boot disk that has CD drivers loaded. I have generally had poor luck myself doing re-installs. See the following link for creating a Win95 boot disk with CD drivers:
http://www.highland-lakes.com/tips/win95boot.shtml

Hope this helps.

Collapse -

Compaq 866

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Compaq 866

by RolandF In reply to Compaq 866

a long winded way around it could be to install your mates drive in another machine - format it and copy the win95 directory from cd ro his drivefiles across reinstall into his original machine and fdisk it to ONLY MAKE THE PARTITION ACTIVE. boot from floppy then c:/win95/setup. i know its long winded but it works.

Collapse -

Compaq 866

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Compaq 866

by Paul D. Masley In reply to Compaq 866

The easiest way is to find yourself a win98 bootdisk. It will automatically load the cd driver. Format the hardrive using the /u command. Then copy the win95 directory on the cd to the hardrive (say under c:\setup). Remove the boot disk and then run setup from the c:\setup directory. This will give you two advantages. It will automatically locate the needed drivers for the install and after the install, if additional drivers is needed, you do not have to have the cd. The files are alreadyin the *.cabs under c:\setup.

Paul.

Collapse -

Compaq 866

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Compaq 866

This question was closed by the author

Back to Desktop Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)