General discussion

Compaq Armada 4120 no CD W95 want W98

By T Mike ·
ok ok-I know, why bother - that said:
a unit with no cd drive-yes a 3.5(shudder-what's that !); has w95 heh-heh a dinosaur & would like to gift to pal with at leat a w98 upgrade to do misc non-web stuff & word processing.
How...? a zillion floppies made from another machine..?
It has 1gb...and a lowley 16mb pentium...would 98 even run..?
I'm sure this is easy for some of ya-I'll split the total with the first 4 guys who set me on the right road, or just close it out tomorrow night if you all are laughing too hard to reply !!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Oz_Media In reply to Compaq Armada 4120 no CD ...

Not laughing oo hard. A good friend of mine still runs his home business and CAD software on a PII 200Mhx with 128M and Win98. What works works, MANY users here have often bragged about using a 486 to visit TR and do word processing.

That aside, borrow or buy and external CD-Rom (pretty darn chepa nowadays, and if you get the user to buy am external CDROM then he will have one for his own use and can install newer software for his Win98 install.
Then just, reformat the C: drive and boot from a Win 98 startup disc and then go from there.

As for RAM, you can run Win98 with 16 MB (absolute minimum requirement), they recommend 20MB, but it will probably be quite slow and unstable with that little RAM, even though staying off the net would help too. RAM for THAT notebook will be cheap though, Kingston aftermarket RAM is approved and stable for Compaqs.

Also make sure you get all of the up to date Win98 drivers AND
BIOS update from Compaq HP's support page here.
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/Armada/us/locate/4_862.html

NOTE: the link is for all WIn98 drivers, audio, video, BIOS etc.

Should be no prblem, Compaq supports WIn98 AND Win2000 with THAT model, you SHOULD add some RAM and get him to buy an external CDROM, they are REALLY cheap now and he will love it!

Collapse -

by Oz_Media In reply to

Note: sorry for the typos, I am still saving up for a copy of Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing. LOL

Collapse -

by T Mike In reply to

I thank you kindly..:)

Collapse -

by Blackcurrant In reply to Compaq Armada 4120 no CD ...

Hi

Another option is to use a USB pen drive or even a Zip drive (which will plug into a parallel port), to copy the Win98 folder contents from the CD to the HDD. There is no need to copy the entire CD-ROM

Also, we had one machine running Win98 with 16MB RAM (it also had been upgraded from Win95), and it was OK for basic (and I mean basic), work.

Good luck

Collapse -

by T Mike In reply to

Collapse -

by TheChas In reply to Compaq Armada 4120 no CD ...

The big problem here is the small hard drive.

I normally advise mounting the hard drive in another system and copying the W98 CD onto the hard drive.

That way, you can install W98 directly from the hard drive and never need to worry about inserting the CD.

Can you find a larger hard drive?
Or a second hard drive?

Format the drive and create a folder named under DOS format such as WIN98

Copy the W98 CD to the folder.

Move the drive to the Compaq.

Boot up and browse to the folder with the files from the CD.

Run Setup.

Windows will install and the registry will note that C:\win98 was the Windows source path.

If at all possible, add some more RAM.
Windows 98 likes 128MB or so.

Chas

Collapse -

by T Mike In reply to

Collapse -

by T Mike In reply to Compaq Armada 4120 no CD ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)