General discussion

Compaq presario 1600 freezes at restart

By jchew ·
Hello,

I have got a compaq presario and installed Win 98 from the compaq cd which came with the laptop, The laptop keeps freezing when trying to restart. The only way to restart it is by the power button.

Any suggestion would be helpful

Thanks in Advance
CJ

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by dcassat In reply to Compaq presario 1600 free ...

I believe the answer is to go to start\run and type msconfig. Examine the programs on the startup tab. You probably don't need any of them except power mgmt. Disable half of them and restart. You must restart twice so that you can determine if the programs that you have elimated were the problem. Enable and disable programs until you have determined which program that is running in memory is causing the problem. This takes about 20 minutes and solves 90% of the problems I have found. GoodLuck.

Collapse -

by jchew In reply to Compaq presario 1600 free ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by BuffaloDan In reply to Compaq presario 1600 free ...

Also check out the windows update page for all patches/fixes/security updates, this also solves many problems...

The url:
windowsupdate.microsoft.com

Good luck

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by netbroker In reply to Compaq presario 1600 free ...

if this is the Presario 1600, then this is an older model compaq(runs best with a clean copy of w95). Make sure you are running a minimum(not optimal) 64MB of RAM with win98. Perform Msconfig and disable everything but system management(and viruscanif you have one running) Mcafee tends to freeze machines, with specific dats(my experience here)
is this win98, or win98se?, the first version of 98 shipped with many Compaqs has know bug with freezing at startup.
upgrade to second edition if possible or Win2000, your RAM will go further.
I run a Presario with w98SE and 128MB for RAM and msconfig clean at boot, and had alot less issues, thing like Realplayer, MSN, Yahoo all use system resources and with limited RAM, your PC could be struggling to run right from boot. I have been there before, and I hope this helps

LS, Dallas, TX
Compaq ASE

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Desktop Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)