General discussion

Compaq Presario 4766 SetUp

By hpoppe ·
I've a Compaq Presario model 4766 (at least it says so on the front panel) with serial nr.8719BKJF017. Motherboard by Compaq 1996. The "diagnostic partition" is lost and entering the BIOS is not possible. I need to restore the "dianostic partition" in order to set up an ISDN card. Now the PC claim that it has no available I/O adresses left (not IRQ). After several (more than 20)e-mails and telephone calls to Compaq in Norway (where I reside) and Compaq in the US, Compaq simply says that the machine is probaly gone. It's less than 5 years old, and I find their answer not acceptable by any standard.
The machine was built in the UK. I've tried the downloadable setupfile for 4760 and 4788 after advice from Compaq, but it will not work. Message saying: this setup is incompatible with this machine. I would not be surprised if Compaq is unable to help, but I'm sure there are better brains with more experience among the public reading this :-)
Can anyone help with a link to a downloadsite or mail me the setupfile? (The one that creates two floppies and you have to remove all partitions and boot from the floppy to make a new setup/diagnostic partition, yes I have done this before on number of Compaqs :-))

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

33 total posts (Page 1 of 4)   01 | 02 | 03 | 04   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by castillo49_2000 In reply to Compaq Presario 4766 SetU ...

We had a lot of nightmares with Compaq with differnet kinds of problems and no solutions from Compaq. Solving problems on their ground always ended up in a loop ! Nobody
knows what is going on. So, all we did is Fdisk and make one partition, formatand install OS [ not the one that came with Compaq otherwise you end up with the same problem ] Just a regular 95B or 98SE. Anyway,
I will try to find you the Disk.

Collapse -

by hpoppe In reply to Compaq Presario 4766 SetU ...

Thanks for sharing your frustrations over the worst support service in the world.

Collapse -

by jimjennings In reply to Compaq Presario 4766 SetU ...

I think that the file you are looking for is named SP1363.exe. You put the disk that this file creates in the floppy drive and hold down the F10 key during bootup, and this will allow you to enter the setup program. If your email address is the sameas your user id here I will mail you the program, or you can get it from Compaq.

Collapse -

I'm sorry, but its not the rigt one.

Collapse -

by BuffaloDan In reply to Compaq Presario 4766 SetU ...

Just my 2 cents worth,

This is a common shortcoming with Compost...

cryptic web links, incomplete explanations and incorrect or missing support files...

This is why compost supports and encourages their own certification track.

I once attempted a 20MB hdd upgrade in a compost portable(luggable) computer that compost stated would support an HDD, I based my quote to the individual upon word from the compost tech support people, (a toll call too)(I even wrote down the tech support person's name...), and proceeded with the upgrade, well 20 hours later, I finally gleaned from a senior tech at compost that I did in fact need not only a bios upgrade, but also a power supply upgrade, total cost to me, $535.00. My customer held me to the formal quote, which I based upon my interaction with a trained and certified Compost technician. This was circa 1987, things havent changed much since.

Collapse -

Thanks for sharing.

Collapse -

by pbgerrard In reply to Compaq Presario 4766 SetU ...

Well I have alwas avoided Compaqs because of all their problems and the fact that they are so proprietary. To do almost any upgrades you need to buy some accompaning part from Compaq that is very overpriced. When you tried to run the 4760 and 4788files from Compaq, and they did not work; they will never work except on those machines. Packard Bell computers also have had this problem. When you have a setup disk for one specific computer model, you can only use it on that model. You probably got an error message saying "This is not a Compaq 4760".

Compaq does not want you to use their files on otther computers, so the setup file does a quick scan of the BIOS and sees what model of computer it is. If you can find it, you need to get the setup file for the 4766. The file for the 4765 will probably not work.

One other thing you can do is create a windows boot floppy on another computer. Make sure fdisk and format are on this floppy. Insert it into the the compaq and boot up the compaq. You should get a dos prompt. Fdisk the drive and system format it. Then insert the the master disk for the compaq. type in dir. Look for a setup file. Run it. That should be the installation file for the operating system. Proceed according to any on screen directions.

Collapse -

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about Compaq.

Collapse -

by dcosgrove In reply to Compaq Presario 4766 SetU ...

In addition to the other replies, I don't think that model compaq had a restore partition. To the best of my knowlege, that came a couple years later. Also, the only trouble you should have using another win 95 install cd will be the modem. Most compaqs used a proprietary 33.6 modem upgradable via software to 56k. They require a softpaq to install and it is very hard to find.

Collapse -

The machine has a restorepartition.
I need the files to rebuild it. Thanks

Back to Desktop Forum
33 total posts (Page 1 of 4)   01 | 02 | 03 | 04   Next