Question

Compaq Presario 7470 start up

By countessprax ·
A few days ago, my pc stopped going online. I checked out the network adapter and it said one wasn't installed. I removed it from the device manager and ever since then when I try to turn it on, the green light on the tower comes on, but the monitor light turns green to amber as if in sleep mode and I get nothing. I haven't switched any cables and I checked all the connections, nothing has changed. What should I do?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

14 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Can you

by ctrservices In reply to Compaq Presario 7470 star ...

start in Safe Mode (tap the F8 key every second or two at start up until you get a screen with a menu, use the cursor keys (arrow keys) to select Safe Mode, then hit the Enter button)?

Collapse -

No-

by countessprax In reply to Can you

I get nothing when I turn on the computer, the monitor won't come show anything. The monitor light is green when I start up, but it turns to amber (sleep mode)within seconds. I was going to try another monitor to make sure it isn't that. I'll let you know if I can start up in safe if it works.
Thanks

Collapse -

More to do

by w2ktechman In reply to No-

Ok, I am suspecting the power supply, but lets try a few more things first.

Have you moved the unit around much? something could have been unseated causing it not to boot. Or there could be a lot of dust inside causing an issue. Open the case up and clean it out with canned air. Being careful about static, try checking that everything is seated well.
Power it back on. Did this help? If not, what exactly is happening? Does the system power itself off? Does it just sit? Is there HDD activity? Are the fans on?

Collapse -

There is activity-

by countessprax In reply to More to do

in the hard drive. Its only the monitor now that won't come on, so I don't know if the computer is booting up or not at this point. I am now going to take this monitor and switch it out to see if it is the monitor or not. I'll let you know-

Collapse -

Its not the monitor

by countessprax In reply to There is activity-

The monitor works fine on my other computer. So what would be my next step? I need to get some air, I did take it apart and it was very dusty, but I do need to get inside with the air. I tried to turn it on afterwards but the monitor was unresponsive.All this happened after I removed the network adapter from the device manager (because it wasn't recognizing it and not going online).Then it wouldn't boot up. Any suggestions?

Collapse -

See this post

by w2ktechman In reply to Its not the monitor

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=101&threadID=232346&messageID=2294426

As it does sound like the video card failed

Collapse -

Take the Video Card

by ctrservices In reply to Compaq Presario 7470 star ...

out (if this is on-board video, disable the MB video jumper and add an AGP or PCI video card), make sure the contacts are clean (be sure not to touch any contacts), then reseat the card.
Let us know the results.

Collapse -

I removed the video card

by countessprax In reply to Take the Video Card

and I used the canned air to clean out the dust. I put the video card back in and it still is doing the same thing. I just want to get SOMETHING to come up so at least I could just wipe the thing out and start all over if I can't save my files. I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks for the help so far.

Collapse -

remove the card completely

by w2ktechman In reply to I removed the video card

If available, try the on-board (built in) card. Does it work?

If you do not have an on-board card, try another card.

Collapse -

The onboard card doesn't work

by countessprax In reply to remove the card completel ...

I took the video card out and hooked up the monitor to the onboard card and I still get nothing. Everything is running inside the computer,just no video. I know the monitors work because I hooked it up to my other computer. I don't have another card to try. If I take the card to comp usa can they tell me if it is bad?

Back to Networks Forum
14 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next