General discussion

Compaq Presario 7470

By ITgirli ·
I cannot get the case off this little bugger. Can someone please tell me how this thing comes off? And I do not want to take a chainsaw to it. (not yet anyway)

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

35 total posts (Page 1 of 4)   01 | 02 | 03 | 04   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by dustyD In reply to Compaq Presario 7470

Actually I was unable to find a user manual for download, but here is a link to adding a hard drive which includes opening the case. Of course, they also say this procedure may not be the same for all systems.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&lang=en&cc=us&product=94486&dlc=en&docname=c00006864

Collapse -

by ITgirli In reply to

unfortunately it was evidently not my case type. I'm not sure if it is even supposed to come off, but i've never heard of a case that doesn't. It would be kind of stupid to make something that can't be fixed. And it IS a Compaq, they had to know it would break at some point.

Collapse -

by jck In reply to Compaq Presario 7470

this link shows you how to remove the case.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&lang=en&cc=us&product=94486&dlc=en&docname=c00006864

Collapse -

by jck In reply to

gee...see what others submit first...

Are you sure it's the 7470?

it might have pop-panels that "snap" in place, instead of screws to hold them.

Collapse -

by ITgirli In reply to

It is a 7470. The sides and top are all one big piece that appears to be riveted to the bottom. I have no idea how to crack this thing.

Collapse -

by JamesRL In reply to Compaq Presario 7470

I had a totally embarassing moment in front of my parents, who finally took the plunge and asked me to get them a computer.

Despite the fact that I have been using PCs even before the IBM PC, that I have assembled them from scratch and despite the fact that I made a living for years repairing PCs, I couldn't crack their small form factor Compaq EVO open to install the modem. It had two push buttons on the side. I pushed them in and tugged with all my considerable strength. I took a flat head and pried the part of the case that was supposed to slide. I scratched my head.

Finally I sent my dad to the basement to find a screwdriver to dissasemble the back panel. It was at that point that it magically came apart.

Since the early 286 days, most compaqs have had a sliding mechanism - they have little catches that require you to slide it over an inch or so, then it will be free of the catches and easily slide off. Its counter intuitive but you actually have to push down before it will slide.

James

Collapse -

by ITgirli In reply to

There is no sliding here. all one piece. I'm going to take a hammer t it in a minute. It's unopenable. (is that a word?)

Collapse -

by JamesRL In reply to Compaq Presario 7470

If its a desktop case, not a tower, then I would bet dollars to doughnuts that the top and sides slide off as one piece - that what I was inelegantly referring to before. Like I said, after you have undone any screws in the back that may connect it to the rest of the case, try pushing down and back. Though in the case of the EVO for my parents, the front of the case came too, and I had to push down and forward, while at the same time pushing in the two buttons on the side.

Do you have a picture that we can view - if you go to the compaq website can you find the equivalent?

James

Collapse -

by ITgirli In reply to
Collapse -

by jck In reply to Compaq Presario 7470

See if there's a way to pop off the front face plate.

Some of the Compaq cases are made single piece.

and you remove the front faceplate to get started.

At least, that's what I gathered from the couple of commentaries I've seen.

Back to Desktop Forum
35 total posts (Page 1 of 4)   01 | 02 | 03 | 04   Next