Question

Compaq presario v4000 laptop problems-won't turn on. why?

By zack247 ·
Hi I got a compaq presario v4000 used. it has no battery, no hard drive, no charger and no RAM. I tried seeing if it works by plugging in a 12v adapter, and the requested voltage was 18v. It won't turn on. if I press the power button the power light flashes. then it does nothing. is this because it doesn't have the right adapter? or is it something else?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

"it has no battery, no hard drive, no charger and no RAM."

by Mehul Bhai In reply to Compaq presario v4000 lap ...

Hence not powering up!!!

Collapse -

is it possible it has a fried cpu?

by zack247 In reply to "it has no battery, no ha ...

is it possible that the cpu has overheated and burnt out? or should i just toss the laptop?

Collapse -

RE: by plugging in a 12v adapter, and the requested voltage was 18v.

by OH Smeg In reply to Compaq presario v4000 lap ...

Wrong Input Voltage and no where near enough current to do more than light the LED's and possibly damage the M'Board.

Stop this immediately or don't complain when the M'Board burns out if it hasn't already.

But even with the correct Mains Adapter the best you could hope to achieve is a Series of Beeps telling you that there is No RAM, No HDD.

It's not even going to post at this stage so what where you expecting to happen?

Col

Collapse -

OK thanks

by zack247 In reply to RE: [i]by plugging in a 1 ...

i was expecting something to happen, but i guess my theory was wrong. i guess 6v makes that much of a difference. i have seen some laptops that were kind of like this:
if it has a battery in, it wont start. i was told that it didn't turn on, im guessing they didn't try without it
but it would turn on if there is no battery. so if i can find a (not bad) battery and the proper adapter, it should work?

thanks for your help, guys. i appreciate it

Collapse -

could i use a p4?

by zack247 In reply to Compaq presario v4000 lap ...

is it possible that i could use a pentium 4 in this laptop? i took the celeron out so i could get the dust out, and i noticed it had a socket just like the ones p4's use. would it work with a p4? or can it not support it?

Collapse -

You're trying to run before you can crawl ...

by OldER Mycroft In reply to could i use a p4?

What happened to the situation regarding the Power Adapter?

Until you have adequate power to connect with the laptop chassis, in order to ascertain if the motherboard remains functional, I'd forget about fiddling with the CPU.

In any regard you cannot fit a standard Pentium IV anyway, because this laptop runs with the Pentium M - a mobile chip that runs at a lower voltage - something you are all too familiar with,

Collapse -

well...

by zack247 In reply to You're trying to run befo ...

curiosity may have killed the cat, but it also invented the lightbulb. i'm trying to find the power adapter, but it seems it's pretty hard to find on without going straight to compaq. i was just curious about whether or not it would work, considering it was all the same size.

Collapse -

RE: "considering it was all the same size." ...

by OldER Mycroft In reply to well...

Well, in THAT case if you can't find a suitably rated power supply you can always just get hold of a Pritt Stick, glue the Pentium IV onto an envelope and use it as a postage stamp.

Considering it's the same size! :^0

Collapse -

Reminds me of a SciFi story from my youth.

by Ron K. In reply to RE: "considering it was a ...

A kid invented a death ray using only a 2x4 a C-clamp and baking soda then published the instructions on a world-wide computer network.<br>
Maybe Zack247 is onto something.

Collapse -

???

by zack247 In reply to Reminds me of a SciFi sto ...

what am i onto?

Back to Hardware Forum
13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next