General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Compaq Prolinea 400 Server Feature Board

by barrycole ·

The server (PIII) is running OK (under NT4) but the video adapter has failed.

I have a spare adapter same spec(ATI Rage IIc) to plug in the AGP slot.

If I close the server down blindly (remember I do not have a screen) what happens when I install the vidoe card and power up?

Will the server recognise the new adapter so that I can see the screen and will I need to get in quick and make a BIOS change before NT4 is started to stop any clashes between the good and bad video adapters?

I do not really want to buy another Server Feature Board but on the other hand I cannot risk the server starting up displaying error messages that I cannot see because the server is currently running a librarary network and I want as little downtime as possible.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Reply To: Compaq Prolinea 400 Server Feature Board

by w2ktechman ·

In reply to Compaq Prolinea 400 Server Feature Board

Adding a video adapter should bring the screen up in the bios. Many Bios’s will auto disable the onboard video when a card is placed. If not enter setup and do this manually.

From there, windows will come up and you can add the driver. and it should be fine.

But some things to look at first,
      Many servers are on KVM’s, make sure that you are veiwing the correct server before replacing hardware. If the video card is the same type, try placing it in the same slot as the old one, then you shouldnt need to add the driver and the display settings should stay the way they were.

Reply To: Compaq Prolinea 400 Server Feature Board

by wlbowers ·

In reply to Compaq Prolinea 400 Server Feature Board

If I am reading you right your video card has failed and you have a replacement that is the same.

If you shutdown the server and replace the videocard with the same type it should come up with no problems.

Good Luck Lee

Viewing 1 reply thread