General discussion

Configuring a Cisco 1700 Router

By larry ·
I just inherited the above and need to configure it with IPs. How does one establish a serial connection or ethernet telnet? I have the console cable and the terminal set at 9600,8,N,1 none.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by LMon In reply to Configuring a Cisco 1700 ...

Start-Programs-accessories-communications then select hyper terminal.

A wizard will appear enter the connection name:

Then select connect using whatever connection you will be using. com1,com3,tcp/ip

then enter 9600 for the bits per second
then 8 for the data bits
then enter none for parity
and 1 for stop bits
and I guess enter none for the hardware you might need to change this one to hardware

hit apply

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Configuring a Cisco 1700 ...

might try downloading Cisco Configmaker. has a wizard and GUI to detect devices and if your lucky and theres no password, configure it.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to

I know that Configmaker supports the 1700 access router.

Collapse -

by Sagat In reply to Configuring a Cisco 1700 ...

I guess you have not had a cisco course if you do it in sem 2. After you get in to the hyper tem. You need to hit enter until you get a screen. You need to type ena short for enable if prompt for password enter password. If you don?t know it do password recovery. Then type in int e0 you also might want to check before you do any change to the router to see what is on it by a sh run which is short for show running configure. Then you will do a command of ip address ?address #? ?subnet mask? do not use the ?? in the command then do a no shutdown. That is it

Collapse -

by larry In reply to

Poster rated this answer.
Very useful. I did take the cisco class 6+ years ago and this tip help rekindle what I had to do.

Collapse -

by larry In reply to Configuring a Cisco 1700 ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Hardware Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)