General discussion

Configuring DNS and WINS in Windows 2000

By den_santiago ·
I am currently working on creating an Intranet on our school using Windows 2000 Server and IIS as a web server. I want to be able to create a user-friendly domain names. I was able to install a DNS Server, WINS Server. The problem is creating the domain and assigning the I.P Address along with the domain. I tried configuring DNS Server by creating a zone and its domains. The problem is when I PING the aliases with the domain name it doesn't reply. Can anyone tell me the new steps in binding I.PAddresses with Domain Names in Windows 2000 Server? I'am more familiar with Windows N.T 4.0 Server and the migration to Windows 2000 Server is very very different and difficult. Is it also required that I install the ACTIVE DIRECTORY option of Windows 2000 Server?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by jose_12650 In reply to Configuring DNS and WINS ...

I do not know how to answer some part of your problem but in my case I put up a LAN with domain, DHCP, Active Directory, DNS and WINS all bundled up. You are more comfortable installing your domain with the various services tied up, rather than parcel them out. I supposed this is what Microsoft intends its W2K Server to behave, all integrated and you'll be amazed how seamlessly they work.

As a start, you can easily create the domain you want if you type on the run command: dcpromo, then just follow the wizard through. After you are through installing your DHCP which integrates DNS and Active Directory to your domain name,you can create your scope and zone. (You create a scope by opening your DHCP console, expand it, right click on your server then click New Scope, and you can create your zone by opening your DNS console, expand it, right click the server and click on New Zone. Follow the Wizard.

After creating your scope, you have to authorize and activate it. By the way, you can install DHCP, DNS and WINS and your WEB server on the same machine.

Collapse -

by den_santiago In reply to Configuring DNS and WINS ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by curlergirl In reply to Configuring DNS and WINS ...

It's not required, but it is much easier to establish a correct DNS structure if you create an Active Directory domain by running dcpromo. This action creates your Active Directory and installs and does the initial setup of DNS by creating a DNS zone corresponding to your AD domain name (i.e., domain.com). You need to understand how DNS works, though. In order for CNAME records to operate and respond properly, they have to point to a valid HOST record. Once you run dcpromo and have your DNSzone set up, your server will dynamically register itself in the DNS zone, so there will already be a host record for the server. Then you can add any number of aliases for that host and they should respond properly. Hope this helps!

Collapse -

Collapse -

by Widgey Woo In reply to Configuring DNS and WINS ...

To have a domain in win2000 you must install active directory. if you have an existing winNT4 domain, you can upgrade the winNT4 PDC to a win2000 Domain controller (firstly remove one of the NT4 BDC's just incase things go wrong so it can be promoted to a PDC)then upgrade any BDC's one at a time.

Collapse -

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)