General discussion

Conflict between Win2003 and Win 2K svr

By badribha ·
I have 2 servers running on Windows 2000 server and Win 2003 server respectively. The domain controller and database server is sitting on the old server that runs on Win2000 server until recently when I add a new server into the LAN and migrate the whole database to new server (win 2003 server).
My question is that some of the client (usually running on Windows XP and ME cant access to database on new server as seems that these OS cannot access Win2003 machine. So, how do i solve this issue?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by cmiller5400 In reply to Conflict between Win2003 ...

Can you ping the server from these machines? Is Active Directory running in Native Mode (authentication issues. should not affect XP though...)? Can you do a "\\servername\share" from the client?

Collapse -

by rene.klomp In reply to Conflict between Win2003 ...

Is the Active directory still running primarily on the Win2000 Server? If so update it to the Win2003 server. This could have something to do with it, but in this case my guess is connectivity and maybe rights.
Is the computer that wants to connect to server in the server computerlist? Maybe add the computername manually to it's active directory\computers\.
If you know for sure all the rights are made then check your switches. I had a prob once that half of my switch was defect, maybe you can test that?

Anyways I would recommend the AD update, here is more info on it: http://support.microsoft.com/?KBID=326480

But first check those 2 things

Collapse -

by dbols00 In reply to Conflict between Win2003 ...

Starting with Windows XP/2003 server, NetBios is not enabled on new operating systems. You can activate NetBios on your Win 2003 server by changing the TCP/IP property settings. Windows 98 and ME cannot run TCP/IP well without NetBios and are not natively capable of Active Directory participation. Windows 2000 server still uses NetBios with its TCP/IP implementation.

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)