General discussion

connect user account from xp to server 2003

By robert_sun ·
I am trying to connect my original user account on my computer to newly installed windows server 2003. The original user account belonged to the "workgroup". To connect that account to the server domain, computer actually creates a new account with same username and password like original account but with domain extension such as username.domain

so in the C:\Documents and Settings, I actually end up having a folder with name "username", a folder with name "All users" and a folder with name "username.domain". This actually creates the trouble as when I log in, the display of the desktop is from the new "username.domain" folder not the old "username" folder .

So how can I connect my original user account to the server 2003 domain without computer creating new account?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

You can't

by gordoncampbell In reply to connect user account from ...

The original account is a local account and the new account is a domain account. To connect to a domain a new account is required and if the same account name already exists as in your case the naming structure is "accname.domainname", otherwise its just "accname"
However you can copy many items between accounts such as My Documents etc.

Collapse -

Work around

by technologyplus In reply to You can't

In XP you can manage network password in the control panel/Username - pick user and select manage my Network password..

Back to IT Employment Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)