General discussion

Connecting 5.25 floppy and 3.25 floppy

By PointyPuma ·
I have been trying to connect a 5.25 floppy and a 3.25 floppy...I can get it to read one or the other but not both...I am using a cable with twist and one that has a slot connector on one end...where do I go and set a drive letter for the floppy...as in bios setup it does not contain "b" for what the 5.25 floppy use to have...I have bios setup as a,c,scsi...but have no scsi devices attached...on my system I have ( drives a,cdef,g and h..."a" is my 3.5 ...cdef...partitions...and "g is cdrom andH" is the burner...in bios setup I see that it has "def" but no "b" can someone tell how to do this correctly? I would appreciate this very much so I can restore some old files of my deceased mother...Thank you PointyPuma

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by TheChas In reply to Connecting 5.25 floppy an ...

You set the drive letter for the floppy drives by how they are connected to the cable.
Starting from the MB end of the cable, the drive connected before the twist is drive "B", the drive connected after the twist is "A".
There is a switch in most BIOS's to swap the drive letters if your cable prevents you from connecting the drives in the order you want.
You then have to set the drive configuration in the BIOS for the corresponding drives. If they are not listed as A and B, they may be listed as 0 and 1, or 1 and 2.

Make sure that your BIOS is set to report floppy drives for the first couple of boots, or Windows may not see the new drive.

Also, for some versions of Windows, there is a check box in System properties/device manager/performance/file system that must be checked for windows to detect newe floppy drives.

If you are still having problems, check the drives for a drive selector switch, or a bank of termination resistors. These were common on older 3 1/2, and 5 1/4 drives.

Collapse -

by PointyPuma In reply to Connecting 5.25 floppy an ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by dmiles In reply to Connecting 5.25 floppy an ...

Open the CMOS Panel and in the Standard Configuration menu,look for the Floppy disk drives,which is listed seperately
You are looking in the drive boot configuration setup,and you want to to at the floppy drive configuration,which should be on the same panel

Collapse -

by dmiles In reply to Connecting 5.25 floppy an ...

In the CMOS panel the Legacy Diskette B should be on the Main Panel,and should be designated on the second connector of the cable,depending on the system you may have to make another twist because Pin 1 is on the right side,so you may have a double twist in the cable

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by tjc In reply to Connecting 5.25 floppy an ...

Here is a though, if you have W2k, XP, or NT don't connect up the 5.25" floppy since the operating system doesn't support it!

just go with the 3.5.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by Diamond Dan In reply to Connecting 5.25 floppy an ...

Regardless of the OS involved in this scenario, you should migrate all files on 5.25 over to hard drive or at least 3.5 floppy. 5.25 floppys have a terrible reliability track record and you WILL lose data in the long run.

It sounds like you currently have access to a machine that uses 5.25 floppys (otherwise you would have no need for them at all). If this machine does not have a 3.5 installed, install the second floppy on the other machine and use it to transfer the files to 3.5 and then discontinue the use of the 5.25 on both machines. There is no need for 5.25 (or floppy drives on new machines! Get your data off the old media and move on. You will be happy you did!

Regards,

Diamond Dan
A+, Net+

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Hardware Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)