General discussion

Connecting Exchange 2000 with SendMail

By DLFMan ·
I am trying to setup an Win2k domain controller with Exchange 2000. It needs to talk to a UNIX (Sun Soloria) box running SendMail. Sun box is connected via T1 to our ISP. The Exchange server has no problems routing mail internally. I can't get it to talk to either the Sun box (inside the firewall) or other boxes via SMTP outside the firewall. What am I doing wrong?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by tiago In reply to Connecting Exchange 2000 ...

well, here?s what i would try:

First, open exchange system manager and get your SMTP server?s properties. Click advanced tab, then outbound connection (or something like that). Then, tell exchange to "forward all mail to this smart hosts" option. put the FQDN of your solaris box, and apply modifications.

Then, create a SMTP connector that sends all mail to a smart host (option under "resolve each address space"). Put the FQDN of your SUN box or the ip, but you must put it like this: [172.16.10.1], for an example.

Then, i?d tell the Sun box to redirect all mail received to the exchange server?s internal IP Address. Let it resolve the recipients, don?t worry about configuring LDAP query agents.

If you can get the Sun part working, let me know.

I?d also make 4 new rules on the firewall, in order to allow inbound and outbound connections on ports 25 and 110. If that is the case, allow the exchange server to use NAT.

Hope it works! =)

Collapse -

by DLFMan In reply to Connecting Exchange 2000 ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by DLFMan In reply to Connecting Exchange 2000 ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)