Question

Connecting Remote Windows Server 2003 to SBS 2003

By will_rolf ·
Hi all,

We have our primary network running SBS 2003 and are attempting to deploy a remote network in a separate location on a server running Windows Server 2003. First, are there instructions available for configuring the network so both servers maintain a connection to each others resources. Second, is it possible for the remote Windows Server Network to act as a replica domain controller (and by what means).

I believe both are possible based upon MS publications, but we have not been able to find success. Currently I am trying to get the DHCP service running on the Server 2003 network, and because it is a member of the SBS domain, it will not let me authorize the service.

Knowing that this setup is feasible, any assistance in finding tech manuals and resources is greatly appreciated.

-Will

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Yes. How connected?

by Churdoo In reply to Connecting Remote Windows ...

Are the 2 sites connected full time? Hardware VPN tunnel? other?

Yes you can join a W2K3 server to an SBS AD, and you can promote said W2K3 server to a DC. As a DC, it will maintain a replica of the AD, and if you make it a Global Catalog, which you should in this case, it will process logins.

Which part are you having trouble with? I couldn't tell by your post. Have you made the W2K3 server a member server of the SBS AD?

Name resolution across the tunnel is typically where peeps get into trouble. In a local network, if DNS resolution isn't quite right, especially when you're trying to join the AD, windows falls back to a NETBIOS broadcast and will usually find what it's looking for. With a VPN however, NETBIOS broadcasts don't traverse the tunnel, so it's imperative that AD-DNS resolution across the tunnel is in working order.

Back to Networks Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)