Question

connecting to a non broadcasting wireless network Ubuntu 10.04

By jimmy-jam ·
I am having difficulties connecting to my non broadcasting wireless network. I select connect to a hidden network in network manager, enter all the appropriate info but it will not connect. i have the correct SSID and WEP key and all that good stuff but no luck.

Any advice?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Turn on SSID

by TobiF In reply to connecting to a non broad ...

Hiding SSID is a "pseudo-security" action, which can actually harm you.

(Since SSID is not broadcast, your computer will have to transmit a list of network id:s it would be happy to connect to. Malware on another computer may take use this to have your computer connect to a simulated access point, which quickly will try to infect your computer and/or fetch email passwords and other "useful" information.

If you want a more secure network at home, then you should consider WPA or WPA2 instead of WEP.

And, as a positive side-effect, you'd solve the connection issue.

Collapse -

Router doesn't do WPA

by jimmy-jam In reply to Turn on SSID

I have an old router that only does WEP. I know I should upgrade but it works and if it ain't broke...

Collapse -

connecting to a non broadcasting wireless network Ubuntu 10.04

by dldorrance In reply to connecting to a non broad ...

Ubuntu has a well earned reputation for inability to connect to some wireless networks (just Google the issue to see). The problem is the open source drivers. If you want Ubuntu and wireless network connectivity, you might try Linux Mint version 9, which is Ubuntu 10.04 under the hood with wireless drivers that work without modification.

Collapse -

Gave up on 10.04

by jimmy-jam In reply to connecting to a non broad ...

I went back to 8.04 and its works fine. I wanted to be on the latest and greatest version but it was not to be. Maybe when 11 comes out it will work for me...

:ar!

Collapse -

I'm with you.

by dldorrance In reply to Gave up on 10.04

If it ain't busted, don't fix it.

Back to Networks Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)