Question

Connecting to HP Procurve 1810G-8 in DHCP

By thebundok ·
I have an HP Procurve 1810G-8 which I've gone in an configured to DHCP mode. It is connected 4th in a series. FTTH Media Converter, ISP Router in Bridge Mode, Personal Router, HP Procurve.

The Router Gateway is 192.168.0.1 with Subnet Mas of 255.255.255.0 (pretty standard fare) but for some reason the Switch (when viewed through IP Config) has taken the IP of 172.25.41.33 under SubNet Mask 255.255.255.240 (and no default gateway).

I can see everything on my 192 network, those which are connected to the switch and those connected directly to the router. I can also access the internet just fine.

In my "Network Connections" window it shows up as vEthernet (Default Switch).

Now, I should be able to access the admin console for this switch via its IP, but it doesn't work. It just times out. From one of the PCs on the network I can Ping it and Tracert, but not from another connected to the same switch. Both of those have IP's following the 192.168.0.1 gateway (ending 186 & 187).

So, 1. why is this switch on a different subnet mask? and 2. How do I connect to the admin console for it like this?

Edit: I tried changing one of my ethernet ports on my MB to match the IP (off by one) and when I IPConfig suddenly the IP for the "Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter" has changed which makes me think that maybe it's related to the switch but not actually the switch.

Second clue was that the MAC Address on the V-Ethernet adapter doesn't match the MAC on the switch itself.

What also confuses me is that in my Router settings the Mac for the switch is there and has a reserved IP within the 192.168.0.1 domain/gateway. However, trying to type in that IP doesn't get me the admin page.

Really at a loss (and I'm not a networking wiz to begin with).

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

0 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Share your knowledge
Back to Networks Forum
0 total posts (Page 1 of 1)