General discussion

connecting Win98 PCs to 2000 AD Domain

By mtaylor ·
I am trying to get a Win98 PC to logon to a Windows 2000 DC running Active Directory. Is there anyone out there that has successfully got this working in a scenario similar to mine. Here is some background info.

The error is "no domain server found....."

I have a NT PDC that was upgraded to the first and only 2000 DC. It is running DHCP, DNS, and WINS.
The 98 machine is getting a valid IP, Def Gtwy, wins, and DNS fro DHCP. I can ping the 2000 DC by name from the 98 PC.
I installed theDSClient on the win98 PC. I setup the network prop. using the netbios name, not the FQ Doamin name...ie..ABC, not ABC.com.
I tried every combination of my login that I coudl come up with.
My final attempt was to create a computer acct on the DC. I checked the box for "pre-windows 2000 computer..."
Can someone please help me get my win98 machine to login to the 2000 domain!!1 thanks, Mark

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Did you try....

by radioastrogeek In reply to connecting Win98 PCs to 2 ...

did you try logging on with a different account? Also can you see the PDC in Network Neighborhood?
Last but not least, did you Set the "Client for Microsoft window" to logon to a NT domain?

Norm

Collapse -

by mtaylor In reply to Did you try....

Thanks for your help.

I did try different accounts but both have failed with "No domain server found..."
I cannot see the DC from N.Nhood. The strange thing is I can ping the DC by name and visa versa with no problems....just cant see the AD andlogon to the new domain

Collapse -

RECheck DHCP and DNS Servers

by Zoeythecat In reply to

Have you rechecked your DHCP to make sure you have all settings defined correcly for downlevel clients such as Windodws98? Also check in DHCP and WINS for that matter to make sure the former has an IP Address and the latter is registered. Try Releasing / Renewing IP Address. I don't have a Win98 WS but I believe you may want to check something else in the Windows98 network settings. I believe the access control tab. Try checking off some things there to test. Also if you try the above andyou still have a problem try a manual IP Address to see if you can connect that way.

Collapse -

by Ireneb In reply to connecting Win98 PCs to 2 ...

can the Windows 98 ping the server?
can the Windows 2000 ping windows 98? vice versa.

Under Windows 2000 server, hv you enable NetBios over TCP/IP under WINS server? I hv seen this problem before and hv actually solved the problem. This problem is quite tricky.

Creating a computer account on the DC does not work too. My customer has actually create the computer and it does not work. At the end of the day, we have to manually delete the computer account there.

Try to enable NetBios over TCP/Ip and see how it goes.

Back to Networks Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)