General discussion

Connectivity Issues w/ Windows 2003

By kbrindle2002 ·
I have 6 brand new Dell Poweredge 2850's, 5 have Windows 2003 SP1 Web Edition, the 6th has Windows 2003 Standard 64-bit edition. They are all being co-located in a NOC, they are not in AD, and I do not have a DC at the NOC...they all belong to the same workgroup. I am remoting into them via RD and somedays I can get into them some days I can not. I'm able to RD in one hour successfully the next hour I may not be able to. And at times, I've setup a shared resources on one of the servers from one of the other servers, only to have it deny me and say I don't have permissions to access that resource 5 minutes later. All the servers administrator user name and passwords (which are the same) can log on from the network, can log on locally, and logon through terminal services. I have tried a different program as well RA2.2, which has been hit or miss as well.. and we can also connect via the DELL KVM switch (which I just got running yesterday and haven't seen it not connect yet). Any ideas why I'm loosing my servers?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by BFilmFan In reply to Connectivity Issues w/ Wi ...

What is showing up in the system and security event logs?

Collapse -

by kbrindle2002 In reply to Connectivity Issues w/ Wi ...

I'm getting browser 8021 and 8032, which I look up on technet and I get this article...http://support.microsoft.com/kb/135404/en-us

which I have tried to follow...and I just get lost
the browser service was unable to retrieve a list of servers from the browser master \\WEB001 on the network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{85026889-6961-4944-BB3E-A2A3AB9EB238}.

Browser master: \\WEB001
Network: \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{85026889-6961-4944-BB3E-A2A3AB9EB238}

Collapse -

by shelli_2005 In reply to Connectivity Issues w/ Wi ...

when you lose connectivity can you ping by ip address? hostname? are you running wins?

Collapse -

thats the kicker, when I ping I may get one response and the other packets are lost or I'll get three responses and the last packet is lost. I'm running an IP sniffer but I am not sure what I am looking for...or not looking for...

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to Connectivity Issues w/ Wi ...

did you see this: (and how is the time synch on them?)
You experience intermittent connectivity when you connect to a network from a computer that is running Windows XP or Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830471/en-us

Collapse -

I too thought it may be the network cards, they are all Intel PRO/1000 MT Network Connection cards in all of the servers and the drivers are dated 11/22/2004. Check intel and see if they have any driver updates? Now, there are two network cards per server, and we have configured different private IP subnets for each because some of the servers will need to be load balanced...but thats later once we figure out whats up with connectivity...

Collapse -

oops forgot to answer a couple of questions..I ping by IP and hostname and get the same result. No Wins..should we be running Wins? Our internal DNS servers are WEB001 and WEB002..and they seem to be working fine...for the most part.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Connectivity Issues w/ Wi ...

you don't need WINS in Windows 2003 servers. you can actually disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

do you run your web servers in round robin? NLB?

did you try this: Windows 2000 or later operating systems1. Click Start, click Run, and then type services.msc
2. Right-click the Computer Browser service, and then click Properties.
3. In the Startup type list, select Manual, and then click OK.
4. Right-click the Computer Browser service, and then click Restart.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to

or this: There is a common misunderstanding about when the Computer Browser service is needed. You should run this service only on Windows-based systems that perform the role of a browser: ? Domain Master
? Master
? Backup
? Potential
The Workstation service (redirector) on your computer is responsible for obtaining the list of servers and domains in the network.

The term "physically multihomed" refers to having more than one network interface. The term "logically multihomed" refers to having more than one IP address on one interface.

The browsing role can be disabled on a transport basis, as described here, or on an adaptor basis by using the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters\UnboundBindings

Data type: REG_MULTI_SZ
String Value:
NetBT_name of network adaptor driver to be disabled (on Windows NT 4.0 systems)
NetBT_Tcpip_{adaptor GUID} (On Windows 2000 and later systems)

If you have more than two network adaptors in the multihomed Windows based server, type each driver instance that you want to disable on a separate line in the multi-string field.

Caution Follow these steps to unbind a transport from the browser only if you are sure that this transport is no longer required on the browser computer because of redundancy. Make sure to back up the registry first.

To determine the transport number to be unbound, run the net config workstation command, the net config workstation command, the ipconfig/all command, and the browstat unbindtransport number command at a command prompt. To do this, use the following procedure.

Note The Browstat utility is included in the Windows 2000 Support Tools. For more information the Windows 2000 Support Tools, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Collapse -

Computer Browser: Restarting Exchange 2007 on a daily basis

by non In reply to

What does computer browser does:

I have similar issue is there any help you can render me.

problem:

I have to restart our exchange server daily we have 2 network card for each of our Exchange and File server which is really unusually please can you advise.

Event viewer log details:
The browser service was unable to retrieve a list of servers from the browser master \\GRKFS1 on the network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{B348954A-355B-4B83-9B03-A5C41AE3077D}.

Browser master: \\GRKFS1
Network: \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{B348954A-355B-4B83-9B03-A5C41AE3077D}

This event may be caused by a temporary loss of network connectivity. If this message appears again, verify that the server is still connected to the network. The return code is in the Data text box.

GRKFS1 is our file server name. Please help.

Should i disable one of the network card on both the file and exchange server?

Network card 1:
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.5.31
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.5.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.5.4
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.5.4
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 04 January 2008 07:49:24
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 12 January 2008 07:49:24

network card 2
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : HP NC373i Multifunction Gigabit Server Ad