General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

console into cisco 5000

by james.kritselis ·

I know very little in regards to working in the cisco routers os but i have a catalyst 5000 in my office and i want to restore it back to factory defaults. i have a console cable and the 25 pin connector as well as the rj45 connector and a modem on my laptop what is the best way to log into and reset the config back to factory?

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Reply To: console into cisco 5000

by robo_dev ·

In reply to console into cisco 5000

by james.kritselis ·

In reply to Reply To: console into cisco 5000

i need instruction on how to hyperterminal in i must be doing something wrong. when i restart the switch it never connects like it says it will in the cisco step by step instructions but, they suppose that you know what your doing which in my situation in not the case. Poster rated this answer.

by james.kritselis ·

I tried to connect via the modem (com3) but when i restarted the switch it never connected?

by icb’s corner ·

You connect a pc by 25 pin connector and rj45 in the console outlet of the switch. Open the hiperterminal, make a new connection, set a com, configure the port (like 9600,8,none,1,none). After you reset the switch, you must reconnect. You must use a hexa code to reset the switch configuration. I assume that you read it this on Cisco site.

by robo_dev ·

old trick: Basic serial terminal test

when you have hyperterminal configured for direct-to-com3 and at ‘connected’ state, connect pins two and three (send and receive) of the serial cable together with a paperclip or anything that is handy. If the computer is sending/receiving data, anything you type will be repeated on the screen wth the paperclip connected, and not repeated when it is not. If this does not happen, then hyperterminal, PC hardware, or cable is configured incorrectly.

Viewing 3 reply threads