General discussion

Continuously Restarts windows 2000 Pro

By vladimirmak ·
Hello,
Windows 2000 Professional continuously restart after login window comes up when I boot the computer to normal mode . I can boot it to safe mode only. I was working fine and I did not install anything since last successful booting. "Boot to Last Known Good Configuration " did help me.
Thanks
Vlad

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by BlackDiamond In reply to Continuously Restarts win ...

Hey,

In safe mode can you get into the "Startup and Recovery" section and see if "Automatically restart" is checked?

Right click my computer.
Click properties.
Click advanced.
Click Settings under Startup and Recovery.

Collapse -

by BlackDiamond In reply to Continuously Restarts win ...

Hey,

Sorry was on an XP machine, it should read
Right click my computer.
Click properties.
Click advanced.
Click Startup and Recovery under Startup and Recovery.

We have seen this occurance in the past ans usually end up reloading the PC.

Who is the PC maker?

Collapse -

by James Goerke In reply to Continuously Restarts win ...

Might be a motherboard issue, try downloading the BIOS update for your motherboard model and installing it.

Collapse -

by donmars In reply to Continuously Restarts win ...

If Windows Starts loading normally, but restarts before or about the time the GUI is presented, a Windows or other driver file may be corrupt, or the hardware it drives is faulty or there is some hardware conflict.
Reboot in Safe Mode by HITTING [F5] after the power-on self test (POST), as Windows is about to load. If Safe Mode works, the core of Windows is okay. Go into Device Manager – press the Windows logo key and [Break] together, then click on the Device Manager tab.
Open the branches and look for indications of trouble, particularly a yellow symbol containing an exclamation mark. If an item is shown as having a problem, disable it and restart in normal mode. If you can’t see anything, or that doesn’t work, boot again and this time tap [F or hang on to [Ctrl]. At the menu choose a logged start. After Windows has failed to load, return to the boot menu. Select Command Prompt Only and, when the prompt appears, type: ‘EDIT \BOOTLOG.TXT’. You will see a progress report on the failed start. It is normal for some entries to be marked as failures. Go to the bottom and see which files were loaded last. Even if success is indicated, these may be the trouble. Try to identify what they do. Knock themout by temporarily renaming them, or by disabling the hardware in question. [Alt][F] then [X] quits from Edit.
If Windows loads most of the way, and fails just before handing over control, suspect a program loaded automatically on start-up. Try holding down [Shift] during boot-up – this prevents these programs loading.
Next reboot to the command line, and type ‘SCANREG /FIX’. This checks for and possibly fixes registry problems. You can also try ‘SCANREG /RESTORE’ to revert to an earlier version of the registry, in case the current one is faulty. Before you reinstall Windows, go on-line and read KB article Q188867.

Collapse -

by sue.ritter In reply to Continuously Restarts win ...

Sounds like a problem with a driver to me. When you boot in Safe Mode I would right click on "My Computer", go to "Properties", then "Hardware", then "Device Manager". Check and make sure that there are no devices with little yellow exclamation points next to them. If there is then a driver isn't installed correctly or the wrong driver may be installed.

Collapse -

by dsuski In reply to Continuously Restarts win ...

Please also check any antivirus software. I had a case where a/v was causing continious selfreboot after a .dat / engine update

Back to Desktop Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Related Forums