General discussion

Converting Access 2.0 MDA to 2000 MDW

By MrDon ·
I have a Access 97 database that was originally built in 2.0 with MDA workgroup security. When converted to 97 the MDA was kept instead of using the MDW workgroup security. Have been trying to convert this to Access 2000 using. All objects in the97 database have Admins as owner. When I import any form it holds on to a link to every form in the old database. I have tried importing without relationships, have copied and rename before importing. All the tables in the application are linked to and Orical database. I am beginning to think that might be an issue. Can anyone tell me how to convert this database?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by OTL In reply to Converting Access 2.0 MDA ...

Tried importing to a "new clean 97 database" then importing to 2000 and creating the MDW. Round about way which worked for me. Or export to a new 97 database?

Collapse -

by MrDon In reply to Converting Access 2.0 MDA ...

Sorry tried that. Looked liked it worked but the forms would not open.

Collapse -

by C1980 In reply to Converting Access 2.0 MDA ...

If the owner of the Db is Admins, then I would first turn off security, then convert the Db, and then refresh the table links using the Link Manager add-in AND checking the box which forces confirmation of the database location for each table, (if you have alot of tables the it may be easier to refresh the links via a code module), selecting the path for the Oracle databases.

The database PERMISSIONS are stored in the MDB and only the group/user account names and passwords are stored in the MDA/MDW file, (So once the database is opened with an account the MDW file is not really needed anymore, until the MDB is opened again, and this shouldn't interfer anymore - unless the account that it was opened with doesn't have the right permissions). If opening the MDA file with access 97 and then saving it in 97 format doesn't help, then you may need to create new accounts in the MDW.

Collapse -

This was the strangest issue i faced and i have used Access since 2.0. I had to create the data base from scratch. used the 97 version and hand type the VBA and manually recreated the forms in 2000. Was trying to advoid that but all the answers here did not work. I still think the Oracle DB link did something.

Collapse -

by Bob Sellman In reply to Converting Access 2.0 MDA ...

As I understand your question, the import of the tables worked fine. It's your forms (and reports?) that don't work.

There's a trick I have used which has worked well for me. It requires that you have both Access 97 and Access 2000 on one computer, which can be done if you first load Access 97, then load Access 2000 into a different directory. Then open Access 97 first and your application. Keeping the 97 app open, open Access 2000. Switch back and forth between the two open apps and copy each form/report from the 97 app to the new 2000 database.

It's tedious, but it does work and should get around your old security problem.

By the way, once Access 2000 has been installed on a computer OVER Access 97, you can't successfully uninstall Access 2000 in order to re-install Access 97. The uninstall of Access 2000/Office 2000 is not really complete. Like a lot of Windows related operations, a lot of junk is left behind that gums up the system.

Collapse -

This was the strangest issue i faced and i have used Access since 2.0. I had to create the data base from scratch. used the 97 version and hand type the VBA and manually recreated the forms in 2000. Was trying to advoid that but all the answers here did not work. I still think the Oracle DB link did something.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Web Development Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)