General discussion

Converting from ME to 2000

By jkpsr ·
I am now running ME on a AMD 1600, 1gb mem, 20/30 gb drives system and I am having many strange problems like programs terminating with KERNEL32.DLL errors, system freezes, memory leaks, etc. I own a copy of 2000 professional that I have not yet installed because I would like to avoid reinstalling all my applications. If I do an upgrade, will my problems likely follow me? I have an alternate partition allocated to use for the new OS.

Thanks,

Jack

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by qballrail In reply to Converting from ME to 200 ...

In most cases, upgrades are nothing more than old problems on a new OS. It may actually be worth the procedure to eliminate the issues. I also recommend reformatting the drive to NTFS when the setup program offers the option. Also, if you have not already, you may want to check the W2K Compatibility list, http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/howtobuy/upgrading/compat/default.asp which will tell you which of your existing devices are W2K compliant. Be sure to perform all updates once your install is complete.

Collapse -

by jkpsr In reply to Converting from ME to 200 ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by rapidad In reply to Converting from ME to 200 ...

Be advised that ME has a totally different kernel than W2K. they are not even close. Me is based on the WIN 95 kernel, which is in fact an overlay of dos. WIN95/98/ME use dos6.22/7.0. W2K is based on the NT4.0 kernel. I use a dual boot system for mysons gaming computers with 98SE and W2K. I prefer W2k for work and if you are not addicted to some of the older games that wont run on W2K I think you will like it too. Put 2000 down on one of your hardrives (watch out for the 1024 cylinder limit) and then after you get used to it go and reload your ME for whatever programs require the older OS. If ther is some business software that needs to run under ME look into apcompat.exe in the support folder on the W2K disk. good luck,

Collapse -

Collapse -

by Alpha-Male In reply to Converting from ME to 200 ...

After backing up your data, I'd go ahead and do the Win 2k upgrade. Win 2k is very different from ME (and astronomically better in my opinion). Convert your file system to NTFS and upgrade any drivers or programs that it complains about - it will dothis for you during installation. If the problems persist, fdisk and put your data files back after a clean install. Normally I wouldn't suggest this, but I just upgraded a laptop at the weekend and figured afterwards I would end up fdisking and starting from scratch, but the upgrade worked perfectly (far better than I would have expected) and the laptop is running better than it ever did under Win ME (not really a surprise. Me sucks).

So, I'd be prepared to start fresh if required. Have good backups and make SURE to write down your hardware devices/config and have drivers available. Then do the upgrade. Since this is an NT based OS and not 9x, the change is significant. The performance and reliability improvment is too.

Good Luck

Collapse -

Collapse -

by hjs In reply to Converting from ME to 200 ...

Don't do it. ME is a POS. Backup your data and start from scratch. Remember: Junk in junk out.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by phil.hall In reply to Converting from ME to 200 ...

Last I knew, since ME is newer than W2K, you couldn't do a direct upgrade without some major problems. Best bet: backup all your data, format the drive, and install W2K. Less headaches that way.

Collapse -

Back to Windows Forum
11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next