General discussion

Converting NT BDC to 2000 member server

By Bra-k ·
What is the best way to migrate an existing NT 4.0 BDC server to a 2000 member server within the same domain? I have an NT BDC that I want to convert to a 2000 member server. Should I do an upgrade or just rebuild the sever from scratch?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by JordanA In reply to Converting NT BDC to 2000 ...

Assuming you don't have an Active Directory (Any Win2k DC's), I would say you need to do a fresh install. If you already have your PDC upgraded to Win2K, you could upgrade your BDC to Win2K and then run DCPROMO.EXE to demote it to a member server.
Jordan

Collapse -

by Bra-k In reply to Converting NT BDC to 2000 ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by Joseph Moore In reply to Converting NT BDC to 2000 ...

Ok. With a single domain, if you have NOT already upgraded the domain PDC to Windows 2000 (and during the upgrade process activated Active Directory) then you CANNOT upgrade the BDCs.
The Backup Domain Controllers can only be upgraded to Win2K AFTER the PDC has done so. If you upgrade a BDC to Win2K first, then you are in for a world of hurt!
My suggestion is if you have not upgraded the PDC, that you wipe the BDC and do a fresh install of Win2K, making it a member server. Since you can't demote a NT4 BDC to member server status, you will have to wipe the box and start over.

hope this helps

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)