General discussion

Copy a 2003 Server user

By Sprocket ·
I recently sat my MCP in 2003 Server, one of the questions asked to create a user with the same settings as another user. However it said the user to be copied had settings that could not be seen in Active Directory User and Computers screen.

I was unsure of the answer so had to guess this one, but as the results at the end on show pass and a graph for certain key areas I was unsure if i got it correct.

So how do you copy a user that has information that cannot be viewed in Active Directory Computer and Users screen.

The command prompt wasnt available.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Copy a 2003 Server user

well, you can create multiple user profiles

From TechNet:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/deploy/confeat/09w2kadb.mspx

Copying Domain User Accounts
Creating domain user accounts from scratch every time can be tedious. Instead of starting anew each time, you may want to use an existing account as a starting point. To do this, follow these steps:

Right-click the account you want to copy in Active Directory Users And Computers, and then choose Copy. This opens the Copy Object ? User dialog box.

Create the account as you would any other domain user account. Then update the properties of the account, as appropriate.

As you might expect, when you create a copy of an account, Active Directory Users And Computers doesn't retain all the information from the existing account. Instead, Active Directory Users And Computers tries to copy only the information you'll need and to discard the information that you'll need to update. The properties that are retained include

? City, state, zip code, and country/region values set on the Address tab

? Department and company set on the Organization tab

? Account options set using the Account Options fields on the Account tab

? Logon hours and permitted logon workstations

? Account expiration date

? Group account memberships

? Profile settings

? Dial-in privileges

Note: If you used environment variables to specify the profile settings in the original account, the environment variables are used for the copy of the account as well. For example, if the original account used the %UserName% variable, the copy of the account will also use this variable.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to

note: settings for users can be applied in Active Directory by Group Policy [which you won't see in AD Users and Computers]. So if you have user configurations you want applied to all users, then you would create the user account in the OU that has the Group Policy applied to it.

Collapse -

by Sprocket In reply to Copy a 2003 Server user

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)