General discussion

Copying data from win95 to win2000

By Pendal1 ·
Guys, this should be simple but nothing ever is. I'm trying to copy data (my documents for example) and the data size is approximately 2mb. The first problem is the machine I need data from is win95 and I don't have any of the older style floppy disks. I have the more modern double density and these disks are working with 95. Then I put the old hard drive in the 2000 machine and everything was fine until the power went out. Now I can't boot the 2000 machine. Am I doing something wrong or is this just a bad day. Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by gary.cole In reply to Copying data from win95 t ...

Hi

Sounds like you are having a bad day! Anyway, your concept was dead right. The W95 install will be on a FAT partition on the hard disk which should easliy be read by your W2000 install.

The only caveat is to ensure that the second disk is jumpered to "slave" before booting up, then the W2000 install will just see it as another drive and you can copy the data straight accross to the other disk.

Good luck and I hope your day improves!!!

Gary

Collapse -

by gary.cole In reply to

Hi again

Yes, the file system of the W2000 disk can be anything, the "potential" problem only occurs when trying to read NTFS as a second disk, but this will not be the case as the W95 has to be on a FAT partition.

Gary

Collapse -

by Pendal1 In reply to Copying data from win95 t ...

Gary, thank you very much. I feel a little better now. Does what your saying hold true even if the win200 disk is formatted with ntfs? Thank you.

Collapse -

by larryhyman In reply to Copying data from win95 t ...

you said "was fine until the power went out. Now I can't boot the 2000 machine. Am I doing something wrong or is this just a bad day. Thanks"

is this the real problem? you can't boot win 2000 anymore?

if so, you might of got a bad sector on the hard drive when the power went out (this has happened to me before)

Solution: boot from the win2000 cd and get to the recovery console:

after giving it the administrator password you should get a command prompt, type this:

chkdsk c: /r

now suppose you can't even get that far (what i did) take the win2000 hard drive (set it as slave) goto a WIN XP machine, boot up XP and load up a command prompt and do your chkds d: /r

in my case as soon as I put the win2k drive in the xp machine, xp booted up and said one of your drives need to be checked for consistency and xp automatically ran checkdisk on the win2k drive..

I hope this helps !!!!!

Collapse -

by Pendal1 In reply to Copying data from win95 t ...

Thanks Gary. I was able to copy the data I needed. Larry, I will also try your recommendation regarding my win2000 hd. Thank you both.

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)