General discussion

Copying XP's I386 directory to c:

By teju_ ·
I am trying to install a clean cut of XP on my laptop. I want to copy the i386 directory on to my c after formatting my HDD. Whats the best way to do it. The normal copy command hangs after 1/4 of the way through.

When I copy through Win2000, i.e drag drop the directory in c. It falls over on some files.

Also before running the winnt.exe, is it advisable to run smartdisk.exe. If so do we need to provide some params or do we just run the exe.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by ruffled In reply to Copying XP's I386 directo ...

find the i386 folder riught click on it select copy and paste to a new folder on desktop then amke sure nothing is running in your background by ctrl+alt+delete then try copying that folder thats on your desktop you get hung up cuz the 1386 folder is in use. in the case of no os insert your winxp c\d and use a start up disk with xcopy 32 on itgo though the comand prompt and use and xcopy32 to copy any file to c: need moreinfo let me know and i can guide you step by step (eg: a:xcopy32 d:i386 *.* c: enter
let me know if it works if not i have many other ways to to this task.

Collapse -

by teju_ In reply to Copying XP's I386 directo ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by Maelgwyn In reply to Copying XP's I386 directo ...

Personally I would not use an OS to copy it, but rather put your CD-ROM drivers (or use the erd disk made with 9 and use dos to copy it.

The sequence of commands:

A> c:
C> MD WINXPINS
C> CD WINXPINS
C:\WINXPINS> MD I386
C:\WINXPINS> CD I386
C:\WINXPINS\I386> COPY \I386\*.* C:.

\ is the CD-Rom drive in this case - if you dont know, the mscdex command will show you when you booted.

Hope that answers your question

Maelgwyn

Collapse -

Collapse -

by mphoffar In reply to Copying XP's I386 directo ...

You probobly want to be running smartdrv when you're copying the files also. If you want, you could probobly just setup a batch file with commands of

copy <CD>a*.* c:\i386\*.*
copy <CD>b*.* c:\i386\*.*

and so on..

Another thought is some IDE drivers have a bus master driver for DOS, so this may be something you may want to investigate.

Just running smartdsk without any prompts should be enough to run the install. If you want, run it twice and the 2nd time you'll see what options have been enabled and disabled.

Mark

Collapse -

Collapse -

by jason.schell In reply to Copying XP's I386 directo ...

You cannot run setup for winxp from the harddrive as you could in 98. You must either boot from the cd or create a set of boot floppies using the makedisk utility on the xp cd. Simply copying the i386 directory to a formated hd and then running setup from a command prompt does not work.

Collapse -

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)