General discussion

Corel Linux / Win 98SE / Win 2000

By northernecho ·
Has anyone tried to do a triple boot using Corel Linux / Win 98SE / Win 2000 on a Toshiba Tecra 8000 with a 14.1GB Hard drive, DVD rom, 128MB Ram, USB, 56K Fax Modem, smartlink network card. How did it go, what type of problems did you run into.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by rgravelle In reply to Corel Linux / Win 98SE / ...

Linux will Install to any partition.The bottom line is that when you install in a
DOS or WINDOWS partition you must boot your
machine in safemode DOS and go to the partition where linux is and boot it from there.cd CDL CDL. On the other hand an alternative that is much better, is to install a SCSI drive for Linux. When it installs it will create a Linux Partition
and when you boot your machine it will present you with a screen asking you what
system you want to boot from.

Collapse -

by northernecho In reply to Corel Linux / Win 98SE / ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by tr In reply to Corel Linux / Win 98SE / ...

I did it with Slackware, but it should all be (about) the same.

Since I prefer to have all my OS's on different partitions, I would create a new partition for linux. I would suggest using Partition Magic and just re-size one of your exists partitions. Just re-size a partition so you have some free space (anything more than 1 gig). Do not do anything with that new space, just let linux take care of it.

While installing, you have to create a swap partition. I typically make that 128 megs ifI have either 64 megs or 128 megs of RAM. Other will tell you differently. Now, with the free space that is left, the install process should prompt you (somewhere) to make that a linux native partition.

Towards the end, you will be asked if you want to install LILO, say yes and install it to the MBR. LILO will find Win2k and 98 just fine. If you need more help or something I said is unclear, just email me (sneak2@hotmail.com).

Collapse -

Collapse -

by techrepublic.com In reply to Corel Linux / Win 98SE / ...

LILO has a problem when the drive has more than 1024 cylinders, you may have to look at putting the LILO below this level, other boot managers operate differently, when I had problems I used OS/2 boot manager to get round them,this worked without any problems

Collapse -

Collapse -

by cairn In reply to Corel Linux / Win 98SE / ...

I havent done exactly this config, but i got triple boot on this puter :) .. anyways ... there is a few things you need to keep in mind:

1. The bootloaders. A general guideline is to install win98, then 2000, then linux, because then you wont have any problems with bootloaders overwriting eachother.

2. The LILO Limit. Remember to keep yourself under the 1024 cylinder limit for the boot-partition (/boot). This partition only needs to be a few megs in size (Typ. 5-15).If you have a disk partition program like Partition Magic then use it to create a linux native EARLY on the disk.

3. The Hardware. You say you have USB.. what USB devices do you have and have you checked if they're supported in the latest development kernel (2.3.99-pre2). Also, if your modem is a winmodem (which a lot are these days, its useless in linux).

Apart from those issues.. happy linux'ing.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by jgluck In reply to Corel Linux / Win 98SE / ...

The easiset thing (especially if you're a newbie) is to go to http://www.xosl.org and download the free bootmanager. It's easy to install and configure.

You will need to have lilo installed on the 1st sector of your root or boot partition.

Youwill also need to make sure that the t entire linux partition that contains your kernel resides below cylinder 1024. If not you will see "LI" when lilo tries to boot and that's all.

Collapse -

Back to Linux Forum
11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next