Question

Corrupted Administrator Password in Windows 2000 Professional

By van_man305 ·
Just purchased a Dell Latitude 610 laptop with Windows 2000 Professional installed on it.

Last owner downloaded a virus, then panicked, and tried to repair using a XP Professional disc.

This caused a Stop Error to occur.

Last owner gave me the Administrator Password, but since receiving a virus and attempting to load XP Professional into the Windows 2000 Professional system, Administrator Password would not work.

After several hours on the Internet, I come to realize that the given Administrator Password has become corrupted in Windows 2000 Professional.

The BIOS Administrator Password and System Password are OK.

Both Troubleshooter V7 and Dell Diagnostic disk reports no damage to the hardware.

Attempted to use Windows 2000 Professional Recovery Disk but am stopped and asked for the Administrator Password.

Is there any way to override the corrupted Administrator Password so I can activate the Recovery Console?

Is there anyway to get the computer into DOS mode so I can force either a reload of the original OS or a Format command?

Also tried ERD Commander with no luck accessing the Hard Drive.

Even tried to Format the Hard Drive and load over the corrupted OS, but each time, I receive a Blue Screen showing:

STOP ERROR: 0x0000001E (0xC0000005, 0x804386E1, 0x00000000, 0x0000001
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
*** Address 804386E1 base at 80400000, Date Stamp 427b58bb - ntoskrnl.exe

Any ideas....
Any way possible to access the Hard Drive?

The laptop does not have a floppy drive, only a CD/DVD+/- RW unit and USB ports.

Is it possible to load either an AntiVirus program on to a USB Flash Drive or anything else to perhaps access the Hard Drive?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Can't help with the password bypass ...

by Bizzo In reply to Corrupted Administrator P ...

... but if you just want to boot the machine to get access to the harddrive to perform a format etc, then I'd advise using a live cd. I prefer to use Knoppix.

Here's a list of a lot of live cds that are available: http://www.livecdlist.com/

Collapse -

Try Active Kill Disk

by 1bn0 In reply to Corrupted Administrator P ...

Download from this page.

http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm

Suite includes boot disk creator.

Create the boot disk on another machine. (not infected!)

Wipe the disk and start over with the recovery cd.

Back to Malware Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)