General discussion

corruption in Windows 98 and Word 2000

By computab ·
System has AMD 400MHz, 64MB RAM, 8GB hard disk. When I load Word 2000 (part of Works Suite 2001, the screen freezes on the loading screen. I installed Word from Office 2000, repaired it but no difference. I installed and ran Registry Mechanic whch fixed many problems, but not this one. I uninstalled Works Suite and Word and reinstalled. I uninstalled Norton Antivirus and installed the free AVG 7.0, updated and scanned, nothing found. I updated Ad-Aware 6.0 and scanned, nothing serious found other than Data Miners. I installed CounterSpy updated and scanned, but only a bad cookie which was deleted. I installed Wintasks Pro, which uncovered nothing sinister. What can I do please?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by jayeliz In reply to corruption in Windows 98 ...

Sounds like there might be some temp files from previous installations that might be hanging up the the install, try cleaning out temp files from computer. Also, clean out the registry with the utilities below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/ha011380381033.aspx

good luck

Collapse -

by computab In reply to

Nothing to do with temp files, I ran Registry Mechanic.

Collapse -

by willcomp In reply to corruption in Windows 98 ...

If I understand correctly, Word is hanging up when loading program, not during install. Was not clear from description.

If hanging up while loading program after installation try this remedy.

Search for and delete all instances of normal.dot. This is default template file and will cause Word to hang if corrupt. After removing normal.dot, start Word. It will create a new default template.

Dalton

Collapse -

by computab In reply to

That's great, thanks very much.

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to corruption in Windows 98 ...

does Word open in safe mode?

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to

that's not mucb ram, it's cheap now...how much free, defragged disk space do you have? if less than 100mb , yikes. less than 200 might give problem imho. do other apps run ok?

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to

what version of IE? maybe shotgun this with windows critical updates and sp for office and for windows 98 (can you still get those?) so now you need more ram and bigger hd. i paid $400 this time last year for acer mini tower with 512 ram xp pro and cd burner. it's fast. might be time for new computer? shop for refurbed name brands...
backed up your email and other data lately?

Collapse -

by computab In reply to

Did not answer the question.

Collapse -

by computab In reply to corruption in Windows 98 ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)