General discussion

Could Win2000 co-exist with Win NT 4.0

By vallery ·
My company environment is currently on WinNT4.0

We are purchasing a new server with W2K.

Q1. Other than setting it as 2 domain server, would it be possible to set the W2k server as a member server with the WinNT4.0 as the PDC?

Q2. Could I not active the AD in W2K?

Q3. Could file sharing be possible if all users are logging into NT4.0 domain?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by lewey04 In reply to Could Win2000 co-exist wi ...

Here are your answers:
A1. You can setup your W2k server as a member server and just use it for a file/print server.

A2. You don't use AD until you promote your W2k server to a Domain Controller.

A3. Sure just make the W2k server a member of your domain and share away.

With that being said I think you are missing out on alot of cool stuff by just sticking with NT4.0. AD does need lots of planning though so you make sure to do it right. Good luck and hope this helps.

Collapse -

by vallery In reply to Could Win2000 co-exist wi ...
Collapse -

by wayne.maples In reply to Could Win2000 co-exist wi ...

W2K and NT can easily coexist. There are lots of potential scenarios.

You could install your new server as the PDC in your NT4 domain. A mixed NT4/W2K domain is one of the standard transition options. The w2k pdc can keep the NT4 BDC synched. If one had several BDCs you can slowly replace them with w2k. A transition model. When all the BDCs are w2k, the domain can become a pure w2k domain. This has the advantage of being able to back out fairly easily.

Active Directory - another standard scenario is to start out with your first W2K servers being member servers in a NT4 domain. As member servers in an NT4 domain, they participate in the domain trust but you can avoid AD since they are not domain controllers (BDCs or PDC).

Whether you try a mixed model or a pure model (create another domain with only W2k servers), by setting up trusts, the access to file shares and other resources depends on user account and domain trusts. Microsoft may be very aggressive about trying to move the NT

Collapse -

Collapse -

by wayne.maples In reply to Could Win2000 co-exist wi ...

forgot to put in my initial comment, but as I learn about W2K (and I am definitely taking early steps), putting it on my web site to share with others

http://is-it-true.org/nt/nt2000/index.shtml

-Wayne

Collapse -

Back to Windows Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)