General discussion

CPU gets stuck at 100% usage

By spiceman ·
I have an Abit VA6 motherboard running Pentium III 600Mhz CPU. On several programs which work fine on other computers the services / programs occupy 100% CPU usage permanently until I stop them from the control panel. Is it a problem with the VA6 motherboard or the CPU or the case and the way the motherboard has been installed. There is no problem with the memory, HD, floppy or the DVD ROM or Windows NT with Service pack 6 - trust me on that one. No, I cannot return the computer or get help from Abit company. I have tried several usenet and news groups - so please have a definite suggestion or if you know of problems with this motherboard Pentium III chips or what can cause 100% CPU usage on some computers on some hardware.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by dmiles In reply to CPU gets stuck at 100% us ...

This may be a defective mother board or you are expierencing a problem with over heating by poor circulation,yet there are a number of things that you put into question and their is no way of knowing until you come up with a error message of some sort.You may want to try decreaseing the virtual memory and decrease the number of programs running.
Run scan reg and check the antivirus you are running.Good luck

Collapse -

by spiceman In reply to CPU gets stuck at 100% us ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by Mark L In reply to CPU gets stuck at 100% us ...

CONTROL | ALT | DELETE | "T" for Task-Manager. Look at your processes property tab and tell us which processes are 'hogging' your system resources.

Virtual memory: Total the PHYSICAL memory in the box (eg:96mb) and add 12mb to it to give you Min/Max Total Virtual memory (eg:108mb). Make changes, reboot, observe change for improvement.

Remove any/all START UP applications and run this app ... and this app alone. Does it work ok now, or do you still have the same problems? Are your problems tied to other apps? Balance auto-started apps to use resources available.

Enjoy :)
mlv//Mark LeVeck, mailto:mark460@trdesk.com 618.593.7439

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by m42 In reply to CPU gets stuck at 100% us ...

Don't know if this helps:

When i start the "Command Promtp" in Windows NT, using the "Start/Programs" Menu item, everything is OK, if i do a "Start/Run" Command, CPU gets 100% usage and the system gets slow as ****...

Check with the "Task Manager" what process is hogging your resources, it might be some kind of "stub" process that gets is the way...

Good luck

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by Malaki In reply to CPU gets stuck at 100% us ...

The program you are trying to run by chance wouldnt happen to be one in the Office 97 package?? Especially in word! If so I had the same problem you have. Simply go out to microsft, and download both service packs for Office 97, and then install them. Have to do 1 and 2.. Just cant jump to 2.. Then it will fix your problem.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Desktop Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)