General discussion

Create an Access 2000 Wizard

By CindyPsych ·
I have created a database in Access 2000 for a condominium development company that allows their salespeople to select the items a person wants in their home (i.e. which bathtub, which flooring in each room, where they want skylights, etc.) and prints out reports for the customer, the developer, and the various contractors.

The initial data entry was extremely complex and there are over 400,000 items to choose from. I just brought all the items in from Excel spreadsheets and appended them.

My problem is that I need to create a way for users to add new items to the database. It is rather complex due to the constraints created by the relationships, so they can't just willy-nilly add stuff to a table. They need to add it in the right order. A typical item, like carpeting, has 10 different properties. And color is in a separate table, because different types of carpet would have different colors available. And not all rooms can have carpeting, so the rooms need to be specified.

I want to create a wizard for data entry. I could create a series of forms that LOOK like a wizard, but I think a true "wizard" might work better. I thought I saw something on the web or in a book about how to create wizards for Access but now I can't find it. Can anyone point me in the right direction or suggest alternatives? Thanks.

- Cynthia

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by juanja In reply to Create an Access 2000 Wiz ...

To develop your own add-in wizard you coudl do one of the following:

1)
You can set several database properties and create a USysRegInfo table in the add-in database (*.mda, *.mde) so that it can be installed by using the Add-in Manager. To do this see Chapter 11, "Add-ins, Wizards, Libraries and Templates," in The Microsoft Office 2000/Visual Basic Programmer's Guide.

2) (Recommended)
Have somebody (or yourself) build a small application in any language (e.g. VB )just for the purpose of adding new items to the database. This application will run outside Access, so it will depend on the level of usage they have regarding the database. If this is the only way they access this database, then this is the way to go.
(Let me know if you want to build one)

Hope it helps

Collapse -

by CindyPsych In reply to Create an Access 2000 Wiz ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by CindyPsych In reply to Create an Access 2000 Wiz ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Web Development Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)