General discussion

creating driver in 2000 -virtual driver?

By stuart_at_oz ·
Hi,

I have an old ISA controller card which I use to operate my garden sprinklers, that requires values to be written to specific memory ranges (adjustable via dip switches).

I have been able to do this under Win98 using one of the various DLL's that people have created to bypass the Win98 'soft' restriction on doing this - however this does not help with Windows 2000.

I need a driver that will allow me to make changes to this memory address (&H300)

I have found some virtual drivers, but I have not been able to figure out how to get them to work.

Does anyone have any info or pointers to enable me to do this?

Thanks!

Stu

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by p.j.hutchison In reply to creating driver in 2000 - ...

XP denies direct access to memory to ensure its stability and hardware abstraction. You need to use OS API functions to handle memory. This article may explain it more:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2mempr.mspx

Collapse -

by stuart_at_oz In reply to creating driver in 2000 - ...

Thanks PJ, I am aware that NT/2000/XP denies direct access to memory, which is why I am after more info - where can I find more info on the Win2000 API's that would allow me to do this?

Also, that link points to an article about Data Execution Prevention for XP SP2 (which I was also aware of), I could not see anything that can help me achieve my aim under Windows 2000.

Thanks,
Stu

Back to Windows Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)