Question

Current win2000 domain, migrate to win2003, remove old PDC

By ezeger ·
sounds like a simple request.. My 2000 domain is OLD.. have a new server, 2k3 Std installed. Joined 2k3 server to the domain as a member... then try to run DCPROMO...

1. the old server is domain control, and file & print services, so nothing earth shattering....
2. all files moved to the new server & utilizing active directory permissions
3. my idea is to promote the 2003 to domain controller, then demote the 2000 which will migrate over settings & control.. then i can decommission the 2000 server
4. when i type dcpromo, i select additional dc for existing domain, log in with admin credentials. it will not accept DOMAINNAME.com only DOMAINNAME. i hit next, and it asks for the full dns name of the existing domain.. this is where i get hung up... you can browse domainname.com, but it will not accept it... the error i get:

"An Active domain controller for the domain DOMAINNAME.com could not be connected. Ensure the dns domain name is typed correctly." in details:error code 0x0000232b RCODE_NAME_ERROR

i'm fairly good at this.. but stumped by this one...

if there is an easier way.. all i need to do is migrate 10 existing PCs, and login accounts to the new server, whether it's a new domain, or old, i dont really care

THANKS!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Back to Networks Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)