Question

Cygwin 1.7.5 for Netbeans on windows 7

By techrepublic ·
I have been trying to install cygwin from setup taking minimal packages for c/c++ on Windows 7 x64,packages are:-
cygwin1.dll 1.7.2 Cygwin Linux-like environment for Windows
gcc 3.4.4 Cygwin C compiler
g++ 3.4.4 Cygwin C++ compiler
gdb 6.8 Cygwin GNU debugger
make 3.81 Cygwin make utility
Following exactly the steps provided in:-
http://netbeans.org/community/releases/69/cpp-setup-instructions.html

Added the Environment variables in "path variable" as c:\cygwin\bin
I can't tell you how many times i have tried to install yet Netbeans is not recognizing the compiler ,even afer proving base directory.
I'll tear off my hair and feel like abusing the open source and its poor management.
Although i have downloaded files from that crap installer of cygwin in temporary folder with weird reload button ,took hours in removing the garbage packages ,manually unticking them,now when i try to install from downloaded packages i get following errors.

Postinstall script errors.
Package: base-cygwin
000-cygwin-post-install.sh exit code -6
Package: base-passwd
passwd-grp.sh exit code -6
Package: base-cygwin
Package: No package
passwd-grp.sh exit code -6

similarly getting same on direct internet installation.
also "cygcheck -c cygwin" command gives response that 'cygcheck' is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file.
Requires little help.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

the 64 bit?

by dawgit In reply to Cygwin 1.7.5 for Netbeans ...

I see the instructions for installing on Win7, but I see no reference at all to either 32 or 64 bit. hummm I'm wondering if the 64 bit is actually encouraged.
Anyway odes this little blurb below help?

8. Now add the Cygwin compiler directory to your path to enable NetBeans IDE to find the tools collection:

1. Open the Control Panel:
- On Windows XP select Start > Settings > Control Panel) and double-click System.
- On Windows 7, type var in the Start menu's search box to quickly find a link to Edit the system environment variables.
2. Select the Advanced tab and click Environment Variables.
3. In the System Variables panel of the Environment Variables dialog, select the Path variable and click Edit.
4. Add the path to the cygwin-directory\bin directory to the Path variable, and click OK. By default, cygwin-directory is C:\cygwin. Directory names must be separated with a semicolon. Your edited path should look something like %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem;C:\cygwin\bin
5. Click OK in the Environment Variables dialog and the System Properties dialog.
6. See Verifying the Installation to verify that the tools were installed correctly for the NetBeans IDE.

It seems to take it a few steps further than what you've described.

Collapse -

That was from...

by dawgit In reply to the 64 bit?

Here:
http://netbeans.org/community/releases/69/cpp-setup-instructions.html#compilers_windows
BTW

Collapse -

I'd also consider whether you need elevated rights to install.

by seanferd In reply to Cygwin 1.7.5 for Netbeans ...

At least on Vista/7.

Check also for any older cygwin1.dll file extant on your system. Bits of cygwin get installed with all sorts of applications.

I don't know about Netbeans or Win 7 in regards to installing cygwin, but I've never had any trouble with the installer before, or running the cygwin environment. And I've never even bothered adding the path statement, as I would run any cygwin-related command through Bash anyway - point being, the path statement shouldn't bork the installation, although it may make a world of difference for integration with Netbeans.

Collapse -

That's what I was thinking as well...

by dawgit In reply to I'd also consider whether ...

That being, That the path statement would be important for the integration with Netbeans. I think it is so with Eclipse as well.

Collapse -

If you aren't using an integrated Cygwin tool

by seanferd In reply to That's what I was thinkin ...

like Bash and all the other stuff that ships with a full installation, I highly suspect the path statement could be very important.

I'm left wondering why cygwin has produced the installation errors, though. Hrm.

Back to Linux Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)