General discussion

Data Loss with Belkin 802.11g Router

By callowd ·

I am running a Belkin wireless router, with one laptop hardwired to it, and an additional laptop using wireless. Both machines connect and access the internet without problem.

However, when the internet connection is inactive for a period of time (around an hour) the internet connection drops out, and the data light on the router goes out. I am still able to access the router from both laptops, and have to login to the router setup and click the 'Connect' button in order to re-connect the router to the internet. This problem does not occur if I leave a laptop switched on, viewing a website that auto-refreshes.

Is there a way that I can set the router to always be connected to the internet? I have looked through the settings and cannot find anything that seems to solve the problem.

Many thanks for your help.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Nilt In reply to Data Loss with Belkin 802 ...

That'll depend on the specifc model of router you have as well as the type of connection. I'd presume you're on DSL from the sounds of it but that may not be accurate. In the web based setup ( in a browser to get there) for most Belkins there's an "Internet Settings" section you should see a "disconnect after X" with a setting. If you uncheck that box you should stay connected at all times.

Collapse -

by callowd In reply to

Extremely helpful, resolved issue, many thanks.

Collapse -

by callowd In reply to Data Loss with Belkin 802 ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Hardware Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)