General discussion

Data transmission, 10/100mbps?

By mdbrewer ·
How do you determine whether or not your network card is using 10 or 100 Mbps in Win98? I know in 2000 and XP you can see your card status and it tells you there, but i can't find anything for Win98. I've also tried netstat and that only tells me the amount of packets sent/recieved.
Any suggestions would be very helpful.
-Matt

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Lizzy In reply to Data transmission, 10/100 ...

Hi Matt,
First, you can check the actual NIC at the manufacturer's site if you don't have the documentation handy. There you should be able to find out what type of card you have and its capabilities as well as its latest drivers.
Second, you cantry one of several sites that measure bandwidth speed from a PC such as:

http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/
(remove any spaces from the pasted URL)

The tests will only be of the top speed that can be acheived to that site which will be based on the slowest component between you and them.

If speed is an issue on the pc, please make sure that only the protocols needed are installed as too many protocols can slow down a connection. Also, try changing the connection at the hub(s) if any, because some may not be capable of 100 due to manufacture specifications or due to failure. Please post a comment with more information if necessary so we can give you more information.
HTH

Collapse -

Here's another test site:

http://www.speed411.com/updateisp3.asp

This one's for cable modems:

http://www.cable-modem.net/features/oct99/speed.html

(again, remove any spaces from the pasted URL's)

Collapse -

Here's another for MAC systems:
http://www.mac56ktest.com/test.html

This site has software that you can download to test bandwidth:
http://www.pcpitstop.com/internet/Bandwidth.asp

Collapse -

Hi again, Matt,
You know that you can check the NIC adapter in the network applet of the control panel. There is an entry on one of the tabs for the speed of the NIC. Usually if it's a 10\100 NIC, the default installed setting is "autodetect" butyou can set it for 10 half or full duplex or 100 half or full duplex. If the pc's cannot connect after setting to a certain speed, I would question the capabilities of the hub or router as in answer #2. They can also sense the speed of a connection in most cases (my HP is green for 100 and orange for 10). I have had problems in the past with the autodetect setting on certain SMC NIC's, but the only way I could get them to work on the network was to manually set them in the network applet at 10 full duplex. I think it was a bad chip set in the SMC NIC's because they were all replaced.

As to getting different speeds on the tests, that is not unusual due to variations in the network between you and the test site. Take the average speedout of three for an idea of the speed you're getting. I would really just use it to see if you're getting better than 10, which means that the 100 speed feature is working, but not necessarily at 100 all of the time.
HTH

Collapse -

by mdbrewer In reply to Data transmission, 10/100 ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Thanks Lizzy for your suggestions. I gave the data speed test a try. Unfortunatly, it changed eached time i tried it from 400mbps to 700mbps. I guess this is because the amount of users in the office(about 400) can eat up the bandwith. All the otherusers are using 10Mbps. We've also changed the port on the switch to 100Mbps for the individual in question. That pretty much eliminates the switch and the network card.(the card is a 10/100 based card w/ updated drivers.).
I guess what i'm lookingfor is a reliable and simple way to verify that the network card is using 100 and not 10mbps in Win98. Any other suggestions you got would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Collapse -

by c.barnhorst In reply to Data transmission, 10/100 ...

Is the router capable of 100? Win98 will use 100 automatically if it is present. I don't follow why Win98 is the issue. Also, my router has a 10/100 LED for each line and I have used a old NIC in one of my machines and the LED made it very clear that it a 10. Establish whether or not the router and cabeling support 100.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)