Question

Default Gateway Sometimes Not Right (Win Serv 2003)

By augrunt ·
Hello Everyone, I am pretty much a "noob" to the whole DHCP/DNS concept on a Windows Server machine but I am eager to learn and have fixed a few issues in regards to what has been setup in the organization...

However, there is this one issue I can't seem to narrow down and weed out and it is that sometimes, when a user restarts their computer and there I.P. is reassigned it is given the wrong "Default Gateway" (192.168.0.101, the server itself), If I try releasing and renewing on the client PC, it does nothing. But the second I disable his/her adapter and re-enable it, it is assigned the proper one. Where in the world is it getting the wrong Default Gateway from?

Here is how the Network is setup

Router/Internet: 192.168.0.1 [Correct Gateway]
Domain Controller: 192.168.0.101
Domain Controller 2: 192.168.0.102

What settings Do I need to look at? Why does it fix itself once I disable/re-enable the adapter?

Thanks! Hope you guys can help!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Answer

by BFilmFan In reply to Default Gateway Sometimes ...

It appears that either the BIOS or the driver for the NIC card is causing the card to timeout getting an address from the DHCP server.

I would advise to download all the firmware and Windows drivers updates on that system and apply them.

Then see if the issue continues.

Back to Networks Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)