General discussion

Defrag Requires Admin Rights In Win2000?

By Lupster ·
I have a Problem of Users not being able to defrag in Win2000. I believe everyone should be able to defrag. Especially when you have 1000 PCs and 5 techs. When I try to schedule it, it doesn't run due to the user logged in is only a power user. Iwent to MS Knowledgebase and they state Defrag is not meant for a regular user to defrag a PC. And have no solutions to avoid this. A colleague remembers that there is a Reg Key you edit for Defrag to run for all users. But as you know it, he can'tfind the website or the information. Is there anybody that can help me?
Scheduling is not an option since they are already short on resources and defragging while working over a 14.4 connection kills the user work performance.(yea I know...14.4?? Buts its CDPD if you are familiar with police networks. These type of connection is limited to about 100 PCs) We dont have the funding to put up a Diskeeper network or server. Or anything else like that. Any Ideas????????????? Please. This would be a life saver for our network.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

14 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by saihib In reply to Defrag Requires Admin Rig ...

Do this. Add each user to the local administrators group on his or her machine. You don't have to tell them you're doing this if you don't want to. They will now be able to use the defrag program.

Collapse -

by Lupster In reply to Defrag Requires Admin Rig ...

Have been tried before, Next thing you now there is 3 version of screen savers, Home bought Software installed which conflicts with business software.

Collapse -

by Joseph Moore In reply to Defrag Requires Admin Rig ...

I don't know if this will work, but did you try changing the NTFS security permissions on %windir%\system32\DFRG.EXE ?
That is the executible for Defrag in Win2K.
On my system, Admins have Full Control, and everyone else only has Read and Read&Execute.
How about adding Domain Users to have Full Control?
See if that works.
Good luck

Collapse -

Tried this and it didn't work. It starts but it doesn't complete. It start saying that network path or security validation not valid

Collapse -

by BeerMonster In reply to Defrag Requires Admin Rig ...

Hi,
This isn't the most graceful way of doing things, but given your special circumstances I would do the following. As you are probably aware there is a function in win2k known as runas. Invoking a program using runas allows you to run it usinganother persons credentials, in your case you want to allow your standard users to run the defrag command as an administrator. When MS added runas, they thoughtfully (Ha ha) did not include any command line switches to automate giving runas the password. What happens is that you can call runas, tell it what app you want to run and who you want to run it as all from the command line - BUT it will then pause and wait for you to enter the password interactively. HOWEVER !!! I had to perform a tasksimilar to yours, and while investigating I came up with a method of using VBscript to kick off the runas, and having the vbscript pass over the password using a vb function called 'sendkeys'. To stop my users simply browsing the vb file and liftingout the password, I also encrypted the file (using an MS provided util) so that anyone editing it sees only garbage. If you think this might be the way to go for you, then drop me a line at darthurs@hotmail.com and I'll send you a sample script, along with the encoding util.....

Collapse -

After a couple of tweaks to the VBScript and working with BeerMonster, I got the script to run and a regular can run Defrag, with no additional cost(BIG PLUS).(except the part to go out and put the script out). Initial distribution time=HIGH long term= time saver.

Collapse -

by saihib In reply to Defrag Requires Admin Rig ...

Mr. Moore is on track I believe. But it is the dfrg.msc file that needs security altered. Find that file in C:\winnt\system32 and give everyone full control. Next, right click on a users desktop and select create new shortcut. When prompter for location type in C:\winnt\system32\dfrg.msc when prompted for a name just call it defrag and Windows will create a neat little defrag icon for the shortcut.

Collapse -

didn't work, read above answer

Collapse -

by ewgny In reply to Defrag Requires Admin Rig ...

You will probably have to edit the security permissions for defrag in the registry, you can get most programs to run under a user account by doing this.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACINE\software\microsoft\DFRG
Navigate to the above key using
regedt32
highlightthe key select security and pemissions fron the menu.
Instead of changing permissions, I add the authenticated user group (easier to undo)
Give the authenticated users group full pemission

Collapse -

by ewgny In reply to Defrag Requires Admin Rig ...

If that doesn't work you may want to consider downloading diskeeperlite from executive software.
(IT'S FREE)The new version works with win2k and is a much better (and faster) defrag utility.
You will still have to edit the registry permissions, but at least the program resides in it's own directory, so you won't have to worry about changing security permissions on your system 32 directory
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\executivesoftware

Good luck
e-mail me if you have a problem or a question

Back to Windows Forum
14 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next