Question

Dekstop m8400f start up problem

By nix0r ·
To explain the issue, the desktop froze up couldn't move anything and when tried started to emit a somewhat constant sound over the speakers. I restarted the computer, the first thing I noticed was there was no display, I switched the display over to something else and there was no issue, I even switched out the input from dvi-d to hdmi. Checked online and said it could be possiblity of 2 things the graphics card or the powersupply unit. I then further started it up again and noticed no lights were going to keyboard even after awhile I couldn't hit numlock or capslock and nothing would show on keyboard, fans worked and the power light was on, but harddrive light didn't even flicker, I could still open the dvd tray. My question is this more then likely a power suppy issue or could it be something else all entirely?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

While anything is possible

by OH Smeg In reply to Dekstop m8400f start up p ...

It is most likely a rail or line in the Power Supply has failed or not producing the required current.

Quite a common thing really and depending on what you have this could be a simple repair by replacing the PS or it may have taken out other things when it failed. So you need to check the M'Board, CPU, RAM and if you have had this on for any length of time the Motors in the drives could be damaged.

If it is just that the PS has lost the 5 and 3 V DC Rails then simply replacing it may cure the current problem. It is a starting point at least and you could test with a Known Good PS if you have one available and if you don't and this takes a Generic PS you should buy a Brand Name instead of replacing it with one of the same from the maker. The majority of Power Supplies sold are rated to Peek Values but the better ones are rated to a Constant Use Value and protect the internals of the case far better.

Col

Collapse -

Thank you for the reply

by nix0r In reply to While anything is possibl ...

Changed my PS out, had everything hooked up but one of the sata hdd's as the new cable wouldn't reach to the other one. Started it up, same thing as before no display, power light would run, then hdd light would flash 3 times and then both power light and hdd light would go out for a second and then power light would come on and remain on. Have switched cables between either hdd and no luck. Looks like I will have to strip the hdds into an external and back up whats on there.

Collapse -

See if this helps

by Jacky Howe In reply to Dekstop m8400f start up p ...

Start by turninig off the power to the PC from the wall and remove the power lead from the PC. Remembering to ground yourself by placing the back of your hand on the Power Supply Unit and not moving your feet. By not doing this it is possible that you could inadvertantly cause damage to the PC from an electrostatic discharge. Disconnect the 20-24 pin power connector from the motherboard. Remove all RAM.

Clean the golden edge of each memory stick with a soft rubber, remembering not to touch the golden edge of the memory stick. Check with one stick at a time, remembering to disconnect the power from the PC.

< take the cover off the PC >

Back to Hardware Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Related Forums