Question

Dell 8100

By mrsthorne ·
I have a Dell Dimension 8100. Just yesterday the computer would boot and read "strike f1 to retry or f2 to setup", or something or that nature. I got some instructions on entering the BIOS and it seems the computer does not recognize my hard drive or CDROM drive. Both of these components came with the computer. Any suggestions??????

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Some suggestions

by jim.spring In reply to Dell 8100

I work with a lot of Dell machines and when I see this kind of error on boot-up, it is usually a hardware error (actually I think all of them were hardware failures). You should open the case and make sure that all of the cable plugs are seated in their sockets. While you have the cover off, visually inspect all of the capacitors on the motherboard. These are little cylinder components on the motherboard usually placed around the CPU. When you check the capacitors, you are looking for swelling and what looks like yellow crust or powder covering the case of the capacitors. If reseating the cables doesn't work or you note "bad" capacitors, then call Dell tech support.

Collapse -

Dell Capacitors

by Fred123456 In reply to Some suggestions

Groan... We have been having the capacitor issue with specifically GX270s. Other models seem to have been problem free.

Back to Hardware Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)