Question

• Creator
    Topic

dell 8400 internet connection problem!

by joohj1187 ·

I am having a problem with my dell 8400 at home. I have reformatted the computer with XP Media Center edition. However, when I went to the network connections, there was nothing but the 1394 connection available.

I am under the notion that it has nothing to do with the internet. More importantly, I cannot connect to the internet (the ethernet is plugged in)! Is there anyway to “create” the network connection that most computer seem to possess? Please help! thank you!

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by joohj1187 ·

In reply to dell 8400 internet connection problem!

Clarifications

Drivers

by jwilliams ·

I hope you still have your drivers disk that came with the pc. or another pc that is capable of going to dell.com and getting said drivers. Any time you reformat a pc you lose drivers. this is just a geuss but is your video slow too? and you sound not working properly? Just go to dell’s website and download you network drivers and you will be good to go.

:)

by shady108 ·

In reply to Drivers

there may also be a recovery partition on the dell, some manufacturers are doing that now, if there is and it hasnt been formatted you mayy find teh drivers there……..if not get someone to download the correct network driver for you, you may also need sound and video drivers amongst others

update :)

by shady108 ·

In reply to :)

yes just checked :

””To use PC Restore:

1 Turn on the computer.
          During the boot process, a blue bar with http://www.dell.com appears at the top of the screen.

2 Immediately upon seeing the blue bar, press .

If you do not press in time, let the computer finish restarting, and then restart the computer again.”” page 57

Hope this helps

The drivers for your network adapter are missing

by robo_dev ·

These would be on the “drivers and utilites” CD that shipped with your Dell PC.

If you go into Windows Control Panel>System>Hardware >Device manager, you will most likely see an entry for a network adapter with a yellow ? next to it. This means that the driver is missing.

From there you can let Windows attempt to automatically install the driver by right clicking on the properties and clicking on update driver. If a suitable driver exists on your system, Windows will find it and install it. An alternate approach is to use the ‘add/remove hardware’ wizard from control panel.

The Dell Utilities and Driver CD will guide you through this process for any devices on your PC, such as the display adapter, network adapter, sound card, etc.

If you’re missing the CD, then you have to download the apppriate driver software that is specific to the hardware that you have….you can get that from dell.com.

Obviously you would need to do this from another PC since you cannot connect to anything without your network interface.

This model ships with Recovery Partition

by shady108 ·

In reply to The drivers for your network adapter are missing

This model ships with Recovery Partition not a CD 🙂

press ctrl-f11 when the dell screen comes up on boot….

asuming its not been formatted 🙂

Viewing 2 reply threads