General discussion

Dell D600 Latitude Won't Start

By crawf307 ·
My laptop was off all night and I went to turn it on, and it went to it's normal Dell load screen and it got so close to the end of the load bar and then it stopped. The fan continued to stay on. It was making normal noises, but it refuses to finish loading.

I am fairly computer illiterate and I really need help!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by jogoldd In reply to Dell D600 Latitude Won't ...

When Windows starts to load hit the F8 key a coulple of times. This will bring you to a menu. Choose "Safe Mode" and follow thru. Then you should be able to resart in regular mode.

Jo

Collapse -

by crawf307 In reply to Dell D600 Latitude Won't ...

It doesn't even get to the Windows load screen, the Dell load screen comes up before Windows and that's where it stops.

Collapse -

by shelli_2005 In reply to Dell D600 Latitude Won't ...

Unplug any peripherals.Take out the battery and cd/floppy drive and try again.
Your laptop should have come with a diagnostic cd
If possible boot to that and run the diagnostics.
A D600 is fairly new so if you call Dell it may still be under warranty and they can walk you thru it if you are not sure what to do.

Collapse -

by Skidoggeruk In reply to Dell D600 Latitude Won't ...

tried sticking a paper-clip in the reset hole just above the Caps lock led?

Collapse -

by wescrock In reply to Dell D600 Latitude Won't ...

having worked on many MANY D600's (over a hundred of them at my old workplace) I know that these things are full of problems. Follow the advice given above of unpluging everything... taking everything out (CD drive, battery) and just plug it into the wall and turn it on... if that doesnt work, you should try re-sinking everything... that is... taking EVERYTHING out... take out the HDD and the Ram... plug it into the wall and turn it on... see if it locks up... then put the HDD in the... see if it locks up... and keep going until everything is put in... if it locks up, you have located the source of the problem... then deal with it accordingly... try this and let us know the results... we should be able to help you better after that.

Collapse -

by justcubes2004 In reply to

Hi,

I have a D600.

When I plug the power supply into the laptop, the green power light goes out. That is with or without the battery installed. I bought a new battery and a new power supply.

I don't want to junk it, but I'm not goes to pay Dell $200 to check it out.

Since you have worked on so many, I was hoping you could help.

Thanks

Back to Hardware Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)