Question

Dell Dimension 4600 and BSOD

By morenito44 ·
I'm running a Dimension 4600 that gets a blue screen witn a stop code 0x0000007B (0xf7996528, 0xc0000034, ox00000000,0x00000000), no other information other than to check my hard drive etc. Can't even boot to Safe Mode. I have run all of Dell diagnostics and do not get any errors (ran for hours, all tests, all devices).
I have checked everything (memory, pci cards, cpu, etc), nothing. I have used up to four different hard drives, and they all get the same BSOD. I know these drives are good, I can boot from them on another PC and get to the Windows XP desktop. I changed the IDE cable to the HD, nothing. I also upgraded BIOS. Since I got the same BSOD, I figure maybe the Power Supply is shot, so I replaced PSU. However, same BSOD.

I'm at a loss right now. Spke to Dell rep and he said that I need to reinstall XP with Dell's reinstallation disk, which is directly tied to the motherboard. When I tried to reinstall XP and got to the screen where you hit start the install of XP, the keyboard does not work. I have tried multiple keybaords and they all work in DOS, so I'm blown out by this. I finally took the new HD and installed in another computer, installed Dell XP software disk, made sure the PC booted and was operational at the desktop level, transferred to the Dell Dimension 4600 and bam, BSOD. Also got my hands on another 4600 which I know works and the BSOD appears when I use the newly formatted HD. I know this is a long post, but any ideas?

PS The Dimension 4600 ABCD status lights are all green.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

22 total posts (Page 1 of 3)   01 | 02 | 03   Next
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Some suggestions

by ebayva In reply to Dell Dimension 4600 and B ...

Have you checked the motherboard for blown or bulging caps? And have you tried removing the CMOS battery to completely reset the system?

Also, did the other 4600 still work with a hard drive that was not previously in the crashing machine?

Collapse -

by morenito44 In reply to Some suggestions

Thanks for the reply. The capacitors look fine and not swollen. I removed the CMOS battery and the auto ide configuration occurs and I reset the day and time, still BSOD. I should correct myself, the second 4600 came without a hard drive and no matter which of the four hard drives I use, the BSOD. I even obtained the same type of HD that the first 4600 came with just to be sure. Tried to holdd power button for 30 seconds, remove password jumper,nothing. There must be something unique about these 4600's, but I cannot find it.

Collapse -

A couple of things to check

by Jacky Howe In reply to Dell Dimension 4600 and B ...

Advanced troubleshooting for "Stop 0x0000007B" errors in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

HowTo patch a windows 2000 or XP registry of a random Harddisk to be able to start on a different Computer, even if you dont have the original machine at hand:

http://www.biermann.org/philipp/STOP_0x0000007B/

Collapse -

by morenito44 In reply to A couple of things to che ...

Thanks, but my BSOD does not say unmountable boot device. There is no technical info other than the 0x..7b message. I went thru Microsoft's tech info and none of the posts there applied to my situation.

Collapse -

Can you access the drive

to see if there are any minidumps.

Collapse -

by morenito44 In reply to Can you access the drive

I can boot off a floppy to get to c drive. How do you get to a minidumps?

Collapse -

You can access the drive

if you set it as a Slave and connect it to a System or you can use a bootable Linux CD.

http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?option=com_ionfiles&Itemid=28

Minidump Files can be found here. C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini122707-02.dmp

How to read the small memory dump files that Windows creates for debugging

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315263

To download and install the Windows debugging tools, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/default.mspx

Instructions on using Windbg.

Open Windbg and select file, Symbol file path and browse to the Symbol folder that you have downloaded and installed Symbols to, select OK.
Close the workpage and save the Workspace information. This should lock in the Symbol path.
Open Windbg and select file and select Open Crash Dump then navigate to the minidump, highlight it and select Open.
There are two ways to use !analyze -v the easiest is to click on !analyze -v under Bugcheck Analysis.
When you have ran the initial dump if you look to the bottom of the screen you will see kd> to the right of that type in !analyze -v and press the Enter key.
Ctrl + a will let you copy the information and paste it into notepad.

Look to the bottom of the page for information like this. This was fixed by updating the Graphics Drivers.
FAULTING_THREA 864f6a98

DEFAULT_BUCKET_I GRAPHICS_DRIVER_FAULT

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

BUGCHECK_STR: 0xEA

PROCESS_NAME: logon.scr

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER: from 00000000 to bfef0fea

STACK_TEXT:
f6434e6c 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 sgiul50!DrvBitBlt+0x585

STACK_COMMAN .thread 0xffffffff864f6a98 ; kb

FOLLOWUP_IP:
sgiul50!DrvBitBlt+585
bfef0fea 75f9 jne sgiul50!DrvBitBlt+0x580 (bfef0fe5)

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX: 0

SYMBOL_NAME: sgiul50!DrvBitBlt+585

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: sgiul50

IMAGE_NAME: sgiul50.dll

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 3b7dfec7

FAILURE_BUCKET_I 0xEA_IMAGE_sgiul50.dll_DATE_2001_08_18

BUCKET_I 0xEA_IMAGE_sgiul50.dll_DATE_2001_08_18

Collapse -

by morenito44 In reply to You can access the drive

Wow, lots to tke in. This could be a dum question, but when I boot to the c prompt and type DIR, should I not see a windows directory (winnt something other than the normal system files?). Is this becus i formatted in NTFS?

Collapse -

What are you using to boot from

CD and CHDIR
Use the cd and chdir commands to change to a different folder. For example, you can use the following commands:
Type cd .. to change to the parent folder.
Type cd drive: to display the current folder in the specified drive.
Type cd without parameters to display the current drive and folder.
The chdir command treats spaces as delimiters. Because of this, you must put quotation marks ("") around a folder name that contains a space. The following is an example:
cd "\windows\profiles\username\programs\start menu"
The chdir command works only in the system folders of the current installation of Windows, in removable media, in the root folder of any hard disk partition, or in the local installation sources.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305595

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

Collapse -

by morenito44 In reply to A couple of things to che ...

Thanks, but my BSOD does not say inaccessable boot device. There is no technical info other than the 0x..7b message. I went thru Microsoft's tech info and none of the posts there applied to my situation.

Back to Hardware Forum
22 total posts (Page 1 of 3)   01 | 02 | 03   Next