Question

Dell Dimension 4600 - blue screen message - is there a fix?

By yvonnefarquhar ·
On switching on my Dell Dimension 4600 i was met with a blue screen which said-
A problem has been detected and Windows has beens shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
I restarted it as instructed but was unsuccessful in my attempt to reboot in any of the modes offered.
The technical info. message reads
STOP: 0x00000024,0x00190203,0x82F69828,0xC0000102,0x00000000
Is there a fix for this that I as a novice can run, or is there no hope of recovery?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Yip, it's just Software corruption

by jonathan_gibbons In reply to Dell Dimension 4600 - blu ...

Your NTFS File System has corrupted, which is essential for your system to start.

This should be easily fixed if you've got the windows CD.

If you boot to the CD (may need to change the boot order in the BIOS, it's F2 to get into the BIOS on the Dell start-up screen) and go to the recovery console, once in there type 'chkdsk /r' and let it run.

This might take up to 1hr 30mins depending on t he size of the drive, but it should fix any errors you might have.

Another couple of commands to try if it doesn't resolve it are 'fixboot' and/or 'fixmbr', which are specifically for fixing boot files.

If you're still having trouble with it or don't have an OS disk, call Dell tech support (0870 90 80 500) and they'll get you sorted :)

Collapse -

Thanks but ...

by yvonnefarquhar In reply to Yip, it's just Software c ...

Thanks for the suggestion which I followed but when I get to the recovery console typing only R only gets me to a screen which says Examining 76294MB Disk 0(zero)at Id 0(zero) on Bus 0(zero) on atap....
I thought that if I left this running (overnight) I might wake up to a lovely Windows desktop but unfortunately the screen was the same after 12 hours. Tried phoning the support desk @ Dell but it closes at 6pm. I'll try again during the day. Any ideas.

Collapse -

Only r?

by jonathan_gibbons In reply to Thanks but ...

Hi there,

Sorry, I didn't mean type only 'r' in recovery console, I ment type 'chkdsk /r'.
If you did manage to do this and it just froze, you might need a new Hard Drive, which isn't good obviously 'cause that means you've probably lost all your data...

Give it another go though and see what happens!
Other commands to try in the recovery console are 'fixboot' and 'fixmbr' they should work instantly.

Also if it doesn't resolve the problem, you can try running a windows repair, which should be an option when you boot to CD - this is kind of like a chkdsk /r and you should be able to keep all your data!

Let us know how it goes :)

Collapse -

Recovery console

by yvonnefarquhar In reply to Only r?

Thanks for your persistence. :-)

I couldn't make it through to the actual recovery console. I could only get to the Welcome to set up blue screen that asks you to type "R" to repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console.

I'll give it one more try and then scream very loudly if it doesn't work.

Listen very carefully!!

Collapse -

RE

by john.gangsta In reply to Recovery console

I have a cd and its called diagnostics and utilities is it the right one?

Back to Desktop Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)