General discussion

Dell Dimesion 2400 Problems

By techdiva1 ·
I've been working on a Dell that had a problem with spyware. After several attempt at using anti-spyware software (Microsoft, Ad-Aware, CA) I finally convinced the owner that the best solution is a clean install. I performed the clean install, set up the OS, reinstalled the drivers, and reset the ISP specs. Webpages take a long time to load, downloads are non-existent, and now the computer does not boot without going to the option for selecting the OS first.

I have suggested replacing the hard drive but I am not sure if this is the best solution. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Enrique Corona In reply to Dell Dimesion 2400 Proble ...

hi.
go to my computer
open c: drive
clic on tools
folder options
select show hidden files and folders
remove the selection on hide protected operating system files
click on ok to apply changes.

in the c drive (not command prompt)

search for boot.ini
opened
and you will find something like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noguiboot

and delete the one that you are not currently using for example, if whe n your system boots and ask you to make a selection if you dont select anything and it boot ok, then you are using the one that says DEFAULT=

if you see more than one OS in this area:
[operating systems]

deleted...

if its show:
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noguiboot

then delete all under [operating systems].

be carefull do not delete the one that says on the defaul section. i mean do not leave it blank.

Collapse -

by Enrique Corona In reply to

an easier way of correcting your problem see the time out line_? change it for a small number
the default should be 30
change it for 5 (seconds)

Collapse -

by Enrique Corona In reply to

if you whant to know if your hard drive is damage download DFT software from hitachi it makes a diagnostic of your HDD. its very accurate.

you can also try donwloading http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html this to fix your tcp/ip.

if you are planning to run adware from lava soft update it first and then run it but in safe mode.

my first anwer is only to fix the boot problem. remember check for virus too.

Collapse -

by techdiva1 In reply to

Thanks for the step by step instructions. I will definately print theses out! The owner is currently out of town so I haven't had a chance to get back to the computer. I'll send word as soon as I can. Thanks!

Collapse -

by w2ktechman In reply to Dell Dimesion 2400 Proble ...

While the first answer will take up part of the question, the rest should be fixed by updating the drivers for the NIC or resetting TCP/IP.

Collapse -

by techdiva1 In reply to

The owner is currently out of town so I haven't had a chance to get back to the computer. I'll send word as soon as I can. Thanks!

Collapse -

by silagy In reply to Dell Dimesion 2400 Proble ...

how much memory does it have? does the hd indcator on the front stay amber most of the time ? if yes What type of hd is in the system , ? I would replace the drive with a 7200 rpm 8 cache wd hard drive . and do a resinstall i work with a lot of dell systems , and alot of the time thats the issue, also with having to choose the os is there two listed ? if so go to start,run ms config click on boot.ini and then click check boot paths and that will remove the extra os line. then reboot. email me with any questions silagy@gmail.com

Collapse -

by techdiva1 In reply to

The owner is currently out of town so I haven't had a chance to get back to the computer. I will get the info you asked about as soon as he gets back. Thanks!

Collapse -

how much memory does it have? does the hd indcator on the front stay amber most of the time ? if yes What type of hd is in the system , ? I would replace the drive with a 7200 rpm 8 cache wd hard drive . and do a resinstall i work with a lot of dell systems , and alot of the time thats the issue, also with having to choose the os is there two listed ? if so go to start,run ms config click on boot.ini and then click check boot paths and that will remove the extra os line. then reboot. email me with any questions silagy@gmail.com

Collapse -

Back to Desktop Forum
12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next